The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

With added Impeachment 2.0 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HE
headliner101
Is there a term called "King Korna
Bumping this thread as CNN are doing special coverage of the Electoral College vote on Monday which forms part of finalising the election result with the A-Team of Wolf, Anderson and Jake from 3pm UK time. Presumably it means that Connect The World won't be on that day and it will be a domestic simulcast all day from there.

I take it US broadcasters show extensive coverage like this every year?

Appears this started officially at 2pm UK but it's exclusive to domestic for the first two hours before International simulcasts domestic at 4pm.

Watching these events had the feel of a UK general election night when everyone had an idea of what the final results would likely look like (thanks to the exit polls released at 22.00), and the announcements at the electoral college venues being like the returning officer declaring the results in public. Sometimes, these key declarations were broadcast on tape-delay.
MO
Mouseboy33
I take it US broadcasters show extensive coverage like this every year?

It was interesting to see. I cant ever remember it being covered before. They would usually mention that this process is taking place and then would announce briefly its been completed. But they havent covered it in any significant way. But I guess because there is a mentally unstable psychotic orange clown in the White House, who cant accept reality, the coverage of this process was partially necessary.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 17 December 2020 12:59pm
AndrewPSSP, DE88 and 1stplayertokens gave kudos
TM
TMD_24
Yeah I imagine they showed it this year to show that the process was legitimate and part of how the president is confirmed. I'd probably expect CNN will heavily cover the January 6th joint house sitting where there will probably some Republicans picking for a fight but ultimately it will finally confirm the last hurdle to Biden becoming president.

21 days later

JF
JF World News
Have any details been announced for BBC News President Biden: The Inauguration, normally carried by BBC One but would clash with time of Downing St Briefing.
BR
Brekkie
You're assuming there is a briefing that day, and also if there were if they'd schedule it against it. If they do clash the news of the day will determine what airs where as it always does - either could be shown on BBC2 or BBC News instead.
Matthew_Fieldhouse and valley gave kudos
JF
JF World News
You're assuming there is a briefing that day, and also if there were if they'd schedule it against it. If they do clash the news of the day will determine what airs where as it always does - either could be shown on BBC2 or BBC News instead.

IF there is a briefing
TM
TMD_24
Unless there is any major announcement then at most, any COVID briefing should be on BBC2.
SW
Steve Williams
IF there is a briefing

Yes, and given Boris Johnson made reference to interrupting Cars 3 in his press conference about the Brexit deal (not that he actually was), it's clear Downing Street has one eye on the TV schedules when they decide to do a briefing, so probably wouldn't do one if attention was clearly going to be elsewhere.
MA
Markymark
IF there is a briefing

Yes, and given Boris Johnson made reference to interrupting Cars 3 in his press conference about the Brexit deal (not that he actually was), it's clear Downing Street has one eye on the TV schedules when they decide to do a briefing, so probably wouldn't do one if attention was clearly going to be elsewhere.

More like Boris was actually watching the movie, and had to be dragged away to host the conference
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Pretty obvious they aren't fans of Pointless, otherwise they wouldn't keep scheduling them at 5pm forcing Armstrong and Osman over to BBC Two, although in doing that they're only displacing Flog It which is a) out of production anyway and b) in the case of the episode scheduled today, was first seen in 2016.

But of course important news and briefings waits for no man so if they need to do one they'll do one regardless of what gets displaced in the schedule, as its not their problem if Pointless gets shunted off somewhere else. Its obviously done at 5pm so it can take centre stage on the 6pm/6:30pm news.
JF
JF World News
Confirmed BBC News: President Biden: The Inauguration 16:00 BBC One 20th January continuing on BBC News at 18:00
NE
Newsroom
Confirmed BBC News: President Biden: The Inauguration 16:00 BBC One 20th January continuing on BBC News at 18:00

Apparently the same as the last inauguration. BBC One took it until 6pm. This kind of event should run like clockwork, so I'd assume 2 hours is adequate.

Newer posts