TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
iloveTV1
It feels like everything that happened in March is just happening again. I wouldn’t be surprised to see even more productions shut down.
japitts and IndigoTucker gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Judge Jerry has been filmed using virtual sets with Jerry Springer at home in Florida, the Bailiff in New York, while the defendant and plaintiff are at another studio in Arizona which is then put together to create a virtual court room set.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/251583/judge-jerry-returns-with-quarantine-court-episodes/
DB
dbl

It's.....different.

Not as slick looking as the Oprah/Drew Barrymore Show set up:

Last edited by dbl on 29 December 2020 9:12pm
AndrewPSSP, fanoftv and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Looks to have been done pretty well, but god these style of shows are awful.
JK
JKDerry
It feels like everything that happened in March is just happening again. I wouldn’t be surprised to see even more productions shut down.

Productions will continue, just with even more health regulations in place. It will not be a complete shut down as in March, as back then the broadcasting industry did not know how to deal with the pandemic, however with the couple of months break, they managed to come up with new measures, rules and procedures to ensure productions will continue.

Audience based programmes will of course remain audience-less or have a virtual audience as Graham Norton Show will be doing when he returns in January. As long as the audience is not there in person, some of these shows will continue.
UT
Upload TV
Interesting that Hollyoaks were due to release a new year trailer today, advertising it going back to five episodes per week but delayed it until tomorrow. Possibly due to Boris’s announcement tonight and the possible suspension of production?

BR
Brekkie
Seems TV production can continue during this lockdown but I suspect some decisions will be made to suspend or reduce non-essential production. From an outsiders perspective inviting acts from around the country to audition for BGT should be a non-starter, but for a relatively closed production such as Dancing on Ice it might be a different matter.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I just hope that we don't get back into Zoom advert purgatory.
JO
Jonwo
I could see a few high end dramas delaying their start date until March or April. Stuff already in production will likely continue.
JK
JKDerry
Seems TV production can continue during this lockdown but I suspect some decisions will be made to suspend or reduce non-essential production. From an outsiders perspective inviting acts from around the country to audition for BGT should be a non-starter, but for a relatively closed production such as Dancing on Ice it might be a different matter.

Television productions can continue unlike back in March, as in the summer of 2020 the government and the UK broadcasters came to an agreement on production measures to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved. Those measures and agreement were not in place back in March, hence the closure of the productions such as Coronation St, Eastenders etc.

All audience based shows will now have no audience in the studio, and virtual audiences will become the norm for the likes of Graham Norton Show etc. They are now used to this, so really there will be no big impact.

Philip Schofield was hoping to have some studio audience in for the launch of Dancing on Ice. It now will be no audience in the studio, and possibly a virtual audience watching along.
JO
Jonwo
Dancing on Ice will be interesting to see how they’ve adapted it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they use the audience area as a place for the celebrities and their skating partners.
FL
Flux

Television productions can continue unlike back in March, as in the summer of 2020 the government and the UK broadcasters came to an agreement on production measures to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved. Those measures and agreement were not in place back in March, hence the closure of the productions such as Coronation St, Eastenders etc.

All audience based shows will now have no audience in the studio, and virtual audiences will become the norm for the likes of Graham Norton Show etc. They are now used to this, so really there will be no big impact.

Philip Schofield was hoping to have some studio audience in for the launch of Dancing on Ice. It now will be no audience in the studio, and possibly a virtual audience watching along.

You say that, but a similar agreement existed between the government and theatres with so many productions and buildings going to great lengths to make them “covid safe”. The National Theatre on the South Bank even stripped out all its seating to be replaced with 2m+ distanced bubbled seating, but London productions were still swiftly closed without warning in December. I know there are differences between TV production and live theatre, the main one being present audiences, but I don’t think we can necessarily bank on anything continuing just because there has previously been an understanding it meets covid safety guidelines as it feels everything just stepped up a gear again.

Newer posts