TV Home Forum

Doctor Who - Revolution Of The Daleks

New Years Day - 6:45pm - BBC One ... 8pm (US) - BBC America (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
DJGM
It's only being reported by a trashy tabloid "newspaper" so far, so until this "news" is reported by a reputable source, or at confirmed by the BBC, then it is basically bulls**t

I've enjoyed Jodie Whittaker's portrayal of The Doctor so far, and I hope she stays on for at least one more series.
CO
Cold Open
DJGM posted:
It's only being reported by a trashy tabloid "newspaper" so far, so until this "news" is reported by a reputable source, or at confirmed by the BBC, then it is basically bulls**t

Amen to that.

Jonwo posted:

I wonder if they'll go for another female Doctor or if they'll go back to a male Doctor again?

I like the idea of a non-caucasian male Doctor next. Mainly because I'd like to see Himesh Patel cast.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
DJGM posted:

Amen to that.

Jonwo posted:

I wonder if they'll go for another female Doctor or if they'll go back to a male Doctor again?

I like the idea of a non-caucasian male Doctor next. Mainly because I'd like to see Himesh Patel cast.

I hope they choose the best actor or actress for the role but my personal choice of a BAME actor would be Idris Elba.

But then again, I want Idris to become the new Bond.

I have a non-sexual man crush on him.
CO
Cold Open
I've already composed Himesh Patel's post-regeneration moments, in my head.

- Doctor asks companion "How do I look?".
- Companion suggests that Doctor starts by looking at own hands.
- Upon seeing own hands, Doctor yelps and declares "I've changed colour!".
- Doctor then asks companion "Am I still female?" (playing up to a "feminine" delivery of that line).
- Companion briefly places own palms on sides of own face, instructing Doctor to "Do this".
- Doctor then places his palms on the sides of COMPANION'S face! Companion snaps: "Not on me, on yourself!"
- Doctor correctly does so, resulting in feeling his own beard and then saying to companion "Not female, then?!".
- Companion (sarcastically): "D'ya think?!"

I might actually send this in to Chibnall (or his successor, as the case may be)... šŸ˜

Or not.
DE88, Matthew_Fieldhouse and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
JCB posted:
She's been rumoured to be leaving ever since she got the job, beginning with "she's only doing one series because she's a mother". Last year it was twice rumoured she'd be leaving at the end of this special.

This reminds me of some useless showbiz hack in the Mirror or News of the World circa early 1997 who "exclusively revealed" The Spice Girls were splitting up, and every time they released records, went on tour or did anything else over the next few years, they would say "The Spice Girls, who I exclusively revealed are splitting up". I mean, they were going to be right eventually, but you may as well say "Christmas, which I exclusively revealed is in December".
JA
JAS84
DJGM posted:

I've enjoyed Jodie Whittaker's portrayal of The Doctor so far, and I hope she stays on for at least one more series.
It's on two front pages, but since the second one is the Express, which has the same owner as the Mirror, yeah, that's not proof.
JC
JCB
The BBC have "declined to comment" which I guess is "yeah, it's true but we're not ready to announce it yet"
CA
Cando
Nicola Methven is easily the best sourced tv reporter in the country. If she is putting her name to it, then it is almost certainly true.
DA
davidhorman
I hadn't thought of Himesh Patel but he might be good. Not sure that's a direction his career's heading in just yet though.

I'd like to see Catherine Russell bring some of Holby City's Serena Campbell's withering sarcasm to the role.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Would prefer to see Whittaker stay on and Chibnall go, personally.
DE88, AndrewPSSP and JCB gave kudos
NA
natwel27
Even if Chibnall does stay on as Exec Producer, I'd like to see some returning writers. I'm all for seeing new talent working on Doctor Who as it often brings a fresh take on the show, but I'd also like to see ones who aren't exclusive to confines of the Chibnall era. There's nearly 60 years worth of writers who have produced some brilliant storytelling in the past, yet none of them are being offered a stab at writing the current Doctor.
JB
JexedBack
Iā€™ve loved Doctor Who since the Christopher Eccleston reboot.
Jodieā€™s interpretation has been a refreshing change and, in my opinion, much better than Peter Capaldi.

If Jodie was to move on I think the show faces a huge decision. The massive back story makes it quite hard to follow, especially for the casual viewer. Itā€™s got too complicated and its history even rewritten.

To succeed it needs to be simple.

So, are they making a show for die hard fans, which, comparatively, is a smaller audience.
Or making a general family drama?

Oh and the daleks/cybermen - It just gets repetitive and a bit boring.

It would be controversial, but I do think a massive reset is needed. Almost start again.
Endless ways to do this, a new timelord timeline, regeneration goes wrong and history is forgotten, all the adventures have been imagined as a version of the Doctor we donā€™t know has been held in a time prison for millions of years....

Newer posts