TV Home Forum

Carlton 1996 Branding Talk

wacky new guy say controversial thing

CO
Cold Open Recently warned West Country (East) Points West
Could another option have been, to adopt dual branding? Carlton London, Carlton Central, Carlton Westcountry?

As the full Carlton-isation of the midlands and the south west coincided with the era of ITV(1) dual-branding, that would've meant triple -branding in those regions!
As one door closes, another one shuts.
MP
MatthewPrower
the bigger question is, how are they gonna brand like that?

stick a small carlton on top?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
the bigger question is, how are they gonna brand like that?

stick a small carlton on top?

Why are you talking in a fashion that implies this is an upcoming rebrand?
If they wanted to do it they've have found a way. but they didn't want to, so they didn't.
MK
Mr Kite Granada North West Today
Both sound rather good; but I just believe that Carlton just didn't do it because Central was a well known name in the network, while Westcountry was a newcomer.

If TSW had kept their franchise, I could totally see them using the Carlton 1996 identity.

That doesn't make sense really. Surely being a well-known name would've saved Central over Westcountry.

The reality is that the idents for both Carlton & Central were made back in 1996 before Carlton gained control of Westcountry. For whatever reason, the Central versions weren't implemented, presumably due to internal politics with Central's management. Clearly, by April 1998, this obstruction had been removed and so the idents were belatedly introduced.

None existed for Westcountry and so they were left alone. Also, by 1998, it had already been agreed that there would be a switch to dual identity ITV network branding and so there was no point designing anything new for Westcountry in the meantime.
MP
MatthewPrower
welp, that clears up that case
MO
Mockah Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Both sound rather good; but I just believe that Carlton just didn't do it because Central was a well known name in the network, while Westcountry was a newcomer.

If TSW had kept their franchise, I could totally see them using the Carlton 1996 identity.

That doesn't make sense really. Surely being a well-known name would've saved Central over Westcountry.

The reality is that the idents for both Carlton & Central were made back in 1996 before Carlton gained control of Westcountry. For whatever reason, the Central versions weren't implemented, presumably due to internal politics with Central's management. Clearly, by April 1998, this obstruction had been removed and so the idents were belatedly introduced.

None existed for Westcountry and so they were left alone. Also, by 1998, it had already been agreed that there would be a switch to dual identity ITV network branding and so there was no point designing anything new for Westcountry in the meantime.

Oh, thank you. That really does clear up the mystery!
MP
MatthewPrower
now those “chums” over at logofanonpedia had a pretty good idea on how to dual-brand
(go easy on the odd names, this is an AU UK i believe)
Last edited by MatthewPrower on 3 January 2021 6:53pm - 2 times in total
RO
rob Founding member Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
now those chums over at logofanonpedia had a pretty good idea on how to dual-brand

No. Just no.
TV Live - The home of TV presentation.
Join the NEW TV Live Discord!
TV
TVVT Granada North West Today
now those chums over at logofanonpedia had a pretty good idea on how to dual-brand

Westprovince? Centric? What are these? (I will try to go easy on them)
Television is my passion.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

"chums over at logofanonpedia"? Seriously? "Logofanonpedia, the place for fake / imaginary / fan-made / fictional / unofficial / fan-art logos. " This is just somebody's who taken existing brands and designs, stuck another name on them and then decided that name existed for 20 years and just so happened to follow the exact same presentation timescales and packages that Central (in this particular case and this reality) did.

I would respectfully suggest Matthew if you're going to highlight a "good idea on how to dual-brand", it might have been better to start from a real base rather than something that's obviously fan made. "dual branding" does not mean a logo and the company text name together on screen.
JL
J. Lyric
I'm pretty sure this is a late reply

TVVT posted:

Westprovince? Centric? What are these? (I will try to go easy on them)

I'm pretty much an expert when it comes to this

Obviously, these two are Westcountry and Central, and Prower's right, it's part of an AU UK - they call it "Anglosaw" there - which is part of the fanon's version of Earth, called "Gapia".

London in this world is called "Lendrins" - and if you take Carlton into consideration, you would eventually get this abomination

boredom makes you do things
MP
MatthewPrower
I would respectfully suggest Matthew if you're going to highlight a "good idea on how to dual-brand", it might have been better to start from a real base rather than something that's obviously fan made. "dual branding" does not mean a logo and the company text name together on screen.

honestly i can’t argue there, i’d definitely go for something less smashed together as well

to be real with ya, i just saw these things there, and, in the immortal words of marge simpson:

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic