Media Websites

The decline of BBC News online

(November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
Nice to see the BBC News homepage paying tribute to the old BBC regional news titles from the early 2000s this morning with this photo connected to a coronavirus story...

BR
Brekkie
So stay away from anyone in a red jacket I guess.
Soupnzi, DE88 and Rexogamer gave kudos

39 days later

PF
PFML84
The issue of visiting the News page and the wrong font loads still persists. A refresh loads it in Reith as it should be.
MI
Michael
Someone thought this was a good idea.

AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Why have they used a mixture of serif and sans.
RE
Rexogamer
Wh-

Isn't the colour difference enough? And it alternates as well-

13 days later

BR
Brekkie
The BBC really not helping themselves once again.
PF
PFML84
Reith on the Nations main news pages seems to have been removed now. The only sign of Reith is in individual story pages.

EDIT- After visiting the BBC News Alba page and then going back, Reith now appears to show.

EDIT 2 - It appears to be a bug, leaving the News site and revisiting resets the font to standard non-Reith font.
Last edited by PFML84 on 19 January 2021 10:37am
BA
bilky asko
Wh-

Isn't the colour difference enough? And it alternates as well-

It alternates to highlight the lower figure in each line (lower age, lower ranking, lower number of world titles).

It does seem like one formatting difference would have done rather than four though.
NT
Night Thoughts
this is a peculiar choice - and it's their lead entertainment story!

Quote:
Ulrika Jonsson has defended Stacey Solomon after an Instagram user criticised her for having three sons by different fathers.
Last week, the user told Solomon: "It must be very sad having three different dads for your boys. Always apart."
She replied that her children "are the best thing that ever happened to me".
Now Jonsson, once nicknamed "4x4" for having four children with four different men, has said "all that matters is we're good mothers".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55717096
EM
Emily Moore
Weird choice of story to place as a link on the front page on 23 January, this Covid-related piece from 1 January: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55507012

I read it as far down as the graph, and thought "hang on, are cases still increasing like that?", scrolled up and saw that the piece was nearly a month old. Surely if you're going to link to something on the front page, it needs to be made clear that it's old information.
MI
Michael
I guess it's there for context as it's not really a news story, more an information article.

Newer posts