TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2020

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Yeah, they should go back to normal pres when they go back to the normal schedule. Which is never New Year's Day!
TE
tellyblues
Ah, fair enough. Maybe it was on the News Channel - I didn't think to look. I'm aware Scotland always 'do their own thing' but with a dedicated Scotland channel now maybe they could put all the Deacon Blue, whisky and black bun nonsense on there instead and let us see the world-class display on one of their main channels.

It all comes down the outdated cultural attitude that "no-one does New Year like Scotland" etc. STV were at it too with their "Pride of Scotland" celebration.

It was a fairly respectable awards ceremony. Not something people ought to feel embarrassed about even if most would have missed it due to the default channel 1 mode in Scotland for Hogmanay.

Some figures for the New Year programmes:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55506201

Quote:
More than 10 million people celebrated the arrival of 2021 by tuning in to BBC One for London's spectacular fireworks and light display.

The 10-minute show used 300 drones to "paint" the sky with tributes to NHS staff and notable figures from 2020.

An average audience of 10.75 million tuned in for the display.

Despite strict coronavirus restrictions keeping people at home, the figure was slightly lower than 2020, when 11.18 million watched the celebrations.

BBC Scotland had it's own Hogmanay special, hosted by Susan Calman, which was watched by an average of 1.05 million people, peaking at 1.3 million at midnight.

"BBC Scotland" means BBC One Scotland although the show was simulcast on the BBC Scotland channel.

The BBC could make the Hogmanay show BBC Scotland only but it would end up being scaled down considerably due to being seen as not worth the expense. It's probably why River City isn't BBC Scotland only either - the ratings it get for premiering on the channel are extremely woeful and are indicative of its true popularity but it is kept on the main channel to keep people in jobs.
P0
p0ab2
Were the London fireworks such a secret that no-one told BBC Scotland? We were treated to some very mediocre fireworks from the Wallace Monument in Stirling on BBC One Scotland (the same show simulcast on the BBC Scotland Channel), with these fireworks also appearing on the Gaelic programme BBC Alba were doing.

No room for the London display in Scotland it would seem, you've got to watch it on YouTube to make way for the usual kilts and bagpipes sh!te on the night itself. Then BBC One Scotland repeats a 14-year old episode of Still Game before showing viewers the new Graham Norton New Year's Eve show at 1:05am. Urgh.

Thankfully the Hootenanny on Two was a good alternative to the sentimental Hogmanay stuff.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but the Susan Calman show appears to be prerecorded I believe? The exception being when they go over to a live outside broadcast or for the Stirling fireworks. I noticed this last year too when going to the Edinburgh fireworks.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Yes, Susan Calman was prerecorded last year too.

I guess it's easier to get bands/audience into the studio that way. I enjoyed the previous format of the Fruitmarket OB, but it did depend a bit on the contemporary Scottish act they booked to go alongside the fiddle-de-dee bits, and maybe they were running out of bands who'd do it live for the fee on offer. (Probably the same reason my student union booked Snow Patrol for fresher's week 6 years in a row, though they had the benefit of a different audience each time)
JB
JasonB
I’ve just caught up with the 2020 Christmas Special of Birds of a Feather (Yes, there was a Christmas special this year!) It focuses on Dorien and Tracy living life in quarantine. Sharon is absent from this episode and Wikipedia claims Pauline Quirke has retired from acting. Very well written though I thought the jokes about Dorien’s love life at the beginning were a bit forced which was unusual.

The set is still the same as it was from the ITV series but it seems they plan on redecorating as Dorien had paint and tile samples stuck up all around it. They also introduce a new young character in light of Sharon’s absence showing similar qualities to one of the original characters and moves in with Dorien and Tracy at the end. Could this mean there will be another series? This was a treat to find on the itv hub considering a year ago we were told to ‘watch Coronation Street for comedy’

The theme and credits was also butchered. Pauline’s lines were cut from the song as well as the images of Tracy and Sharon.
BR
Brekkie
Wendy on Not Going Out has to be the highlight of the Christmas season.

This show absolutely deserves a Christmas Day slot at least once.
MA
Meridian AM
I’ve just caught up with the 2020 Christmas Special of Birds of a Feather (Yes, there was a Christmas special this year!) It focuses on Dorien and Tracy living life in quarantine. Sharon is absent from this episode and Wikipedia claims Pauline Quirke has retired from acting. Very well written though I thought the jokes about Dorien’s love life at the beginning were a bit forced which was unusual.

The set is still the same as it was from the ITV series but it seems they plan on redecorating as Dorien had paint and tile samples stuck up all around it. They also introduce a new young character in light of Sharon’s absence showing similar qualities to one of the original characters and moves in with Dorien and Tracy at the end. Could this mean there will be another series? This was a treat to find on the itv hub considering a year ago we were told to ‘watch Coronation Street for comedy’

The theme and credits was also butchered. Pauline’s lines were cut from the song as well as the images of Tracy and Sharon.

According to Linda Robson, Pauline Quirke "didn't want to do it". Someone on here said that Pauline recently filmed a new drama. It doesn't seem that she has retired completely, contrary to what you saw on Wikipedia.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Final ratings are out and as ever they’re somewhat different to the overnights - it’s Call the Midwife that “wins” Xmas Day with just over 8 million, the Queen‘s Speech in second. Lowest ratings peak ever on December 25th?

BARB will hopefully add the top ten of 2020 soon, they’ve got a useful archive dating back to 1981 on their site. I have a sinking feeling the BBC News Special lockdown message from March will win out, that was watched by over 14 million which would be the grimmest highest-rated broadcast of the year since what came top in 1997...

29 days later

GE
thegeek Founding member
the Institute of Professional Sound are running a webinar about how the New Year Fireworks were produced. It's £5 for non-members, and the sign-up link is at https://ipsmembers.org/event-4146969
Josh and Omnipresent gave kudos

Newer posts