TV Home Forum

Y93

the day thames (sorta) died (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MP
MatthewPrower
with the death of flash upon us, I’ve somehow realized the odd coincidental parallels to the death of thames tv 20 years before

-both are considered “de facto” in the golden age of whatever they’re behind (ITV, the internet)
-both were foreshadowed to die and be replaced
-both replacements are inferior to them (carlton, html5)
-both ended on the same day (dec. 31, aka RIGHT NOW)

think the only difference is that thames was a primary british thing, and flash is a worldwide thing

anyways, where were you when thames said it’s final hurrah?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Well that's one of the more unusual similies/metaphor/whatever I think I've ever read. Comparing a web browser plug-in to an ITV region.. Flash has always been a PITA and some people will only be too glad to see the back of the damn thing.
SC
Si-Co
Indeed.

Seeing as you asked: whatever I was doing at midnight on 31st December 1992, it would have been more interesting than what I’ll be doing this New Years Eve.
MA
Markymark
Si-Co posted:
Indeed.

Seeing as you asked: whatever I was doing at midnight on 31st December 1992, it would have been more interesting than what I’ll be doing this New Years Eve.

Quite ! I think we'll probably just go to bed at 10pm tonight just like any other Thursday, I don't see the point of consciously experiencing any more of 2020 than is necessary !
Brekkie, Si-Co and DE88 gave kudos
MS
msim
The annual moan from someone about Thames and Carlton, or TV-am and GMTV on here. Full marks - or slow handed applause - for originality on the theme this time around though.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I feel this thread's link to TV presentation is tenuous at best, and therefore it's being closed.

Newer posts