Martin Lambie-Nairn has died

(December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
He was also the person who had the original idea for Spitting Image
SP
Spencer
So sad to hear this. I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to say that he changed the face of TV presentation in this country and around the world.

He was responsible for almost all of my favourite TV branding: Channel 4, the BBC One balloons, the BBC Two 2s, Carlton’s hearts, BBC News 1999 and 2008, BBC News 24/World Flags... the list goes on.

A huge loss to TV design and branding.
RE
Revolution
The ITN titles in the mid 90s were a thing of beauty. Well designed by Lambie-Nairn and his team, Dave Hewson's theme was the cherry on the top.

RIP.
RD
Roger Darthwell
So sad to hear this. I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to say that he changed the face of TV presentation in this country and around the world.

He was responsible for almost all of my favourite TV branding: Channel 4, the BBC One balloons, the BBC Two 2s, Carlton’s hearts, BBC News 1999 and 2008, BBC News 24/World Flags... the list goes on.

A huge loss to TV design and branding.

I second this completely! I am very sad to learn of his death Crying or Very sad
JF
JetixFann450
I honestly think it's rather saddening news, the person who had helped many channels, including the BBC and TF1 in France, will not be forgotten by many and I hope Channel 4 at least pays respect by playing the '1982' ident again, even if it means it's been 4-5 times this year because of Bake Off's 80s theme.

R.I.P Martin Lambie Nairn, may your graphics impress even the angels above.
RD
Roger Darthwell
I honestly think it's rather saddening news, the person who had helped many channels, including the BBC and TF1 in France, will not be forgotten by many and I hope Channel 4 at least pays respect by playing the '1982' ident again, even if it means it's been 4-5 times this year because of Bake Off's 80s theme.

R.I.P Martin Lambie Nairn, may your graphics impress even the angels above.

I never knew that Lambie-Nairn created the logo of TF1
RO
rob Founding member
He was also the person who had the original idea for Spitting Image

I hope he's enjoying an original lunch. Smile
RD
Roger Darthwell
The ITN titles in the mid 90s were a thing of beauty. Well designed by Lambie-Nairn and his team, Dave Hewson's theme was the cherry on the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yLs_8TMzCU

RIP.

I completely agree, they were a thing of beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMMXwvfkdWU All of his iconic creations will make sure he will be remembered forever
MarkT76 and Revolution gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
It’s amazing what he, and his company created and then achieved. A massive loss to branding and the creative industries.

PF
PFML84
Very shocked to read this, a very sad loss to the world of broadcasting. Thanks for the amazing work you and your team did over the years. My condolences to Martin's family and friends. RIP.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Martin Lambie-Nairn created timeless logos, including C4, The '2' in BBC Two and TF1, all of which are still used in some form to this day.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
I think for most people on here, his work would've been a colossal part of what inspired our interest in presentation design, whether it was the Channel 4 logo, the 1991 BBC identities, the balloon or the various iterations of BBC News over the years. Hard to think of anyone who's done more to make the bits in between the programmes look so good.

Newer posts