TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DW
DavidWhitfield
One can only assume that, for whatever reason, they were not able to show Ideal Insomniac Infomercials as planned and cobbled together anything they could at short notice to take them up to 3am.

Thankfully for ITV, I can't imagine any of the fourteen people still watching at that time will lodge a complaint.
MarkT76, DE88 and Josh gave kudos
JO
Johnr
In the graveyard ratings war they decided to put a massive circular screen up against the BBC's massive circular wheel! (a repeat of McIntyres Christmal Wheel)
JA
JAS84
One can only assume that, for whatever reason, they were not able to show Ideal Insomniac Infomercials as planned and cobbled together anything they could at short notice to take them up to 3am.

Thankfully for ITV, I can't imagine any of the fourteen people still watching at that time will lodge a complaint.
Presenter couldn't make it to their Tier 4 studio, maybe?
JO
Josh
The Ideal World channel still looked to be playing as normally, albeit prerecorded (which is odd considering they're normally live at this time).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Traveling to work in Tier 4 is still allowed isn't it?

I wonder if this is a scheduling mix up, IW didn't think they were on today, being Boxing Day, and ITV didn't want to just crash in and out of their pre recorded stuff that's going to include trails for other IW shows that shouldn't go out on ITV.

Sounds far fetched but it's not that long ago that the BBC scheduled Andrew Marr but the show was actually on a pre planned week off.

I'm surprised that there isn't a generic "Now on ITV we're unable to bring you Ideal World at the moment, so here's an extra programme" kind of announcement recorded and ready to go.
HC
Hatton Cross

Yes, but only if the work can't be done from home.
Presenting, ad libbing and flogging rubbish on shopping channels would fall into that category, I'd have thought..
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Yes, but only if the work can't be done from home.
Presenting, ad libbing and flogging rubbish on shopping channels would fall into that category, I'd have thought..

News channels were doing presenting from home at the height of the pandemic, so there is probably no reason why Ideal World and QVC and whatever else couldn't do that if they wanted to, though they'd need people in a warehouse to pack stuff, stick labels on it and arrange for FedEx/DHL/Hermes to come and get this crap out of here. Of course if the will is there distribution could be all automated on a picket in a warehouse somewhere so you'd only need to monitor it and intervene if something goes wrong, but that sort of stuff is expensive if Inside The Factory is anything to go by.

Can just imagine Peter Simon flogging a drone via webcam from his home. With no incentive to fall over something, rip his trousers or do the whole "not only with the <immaterial feature>" thing, it would almost certainly be a disappointing telecast.
JO
Jonwo
I think QVC at Home would be very difficult to pull off. The news can be done at home as it’s very static but trying to demonstrate why you should buy a certain product isn’t as doable live.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:
I think QVC at Home would be very difficult to pull off. The news can be done at home as it’s very static but trying to demonstrate why you should buy a certain product isn’t as doable live.

Well in fairness the last few times I've spotted Ideal World flogging drones, carpet vacuums, memory foam mattresses etc it isn't the main presenter who's doing any of that, its somebody else they've wheeled in, an "expert" on drones/vacuums/mattresses (or sometimes somebody representing the company who made the damn thing they're flogging at the time) who will then prattle on/demonstrate for half an hour with occasional interjections from whoever the host is about stock, flexipay, the website, "will we see this at this price again?", and so on and so forth... Almost like Ideal World have outsourced any actual selling and the presenters are just standing around looking pretty...
JO
Joe
Sounds a lot like the presenters couldn’t do it from home then.
CL
classicnewcbbc
I've got the video of this broadcast and looked back at it and it basically was playing Ideal World for about 15 minutes something before suddenly cutting to a random old ITV programme no idents no sorry we seem to have lost this programme just cut straight into it while the ideal world presenter was still speaking and that so not sure what the problem could of been for them
IT
IndigoTucker
QVC are actually presenting from home as I saw the other day. The sales reps are video calling in to a single host in the main studio.

Newer posts