TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
d4ky posted:
My Gold channel 810 is now 4:3 rather than 16:9.

Gold SD has always been stretched so watch that rather than HD but I’ve now noticed as of two days ago that’s stopped? Is it just my sky box or has this changed?

My 810 is now 4:3 too. Yes, it used to be 4:3 stretched.
I prefer it not stretched.
JA
james-2001
They were never stretched, they've always properly switched between 4:3 and 16:9. If it was stretched, then that's based on how either your TV or digital box were set up.
PF
PFML84
Perhaps with the change to the new playout facilities, they are broadcasting their channels in 16:9 permanently and pillarboxing 4:3 content at source and broadcasting it in a 16:9 frame?

Channel 5 do this as do a few other networks so perhaps UKTV are following suit? Usually though when they do this, the DOG stays in the 16:9 area it usually is in, so they might have updated the settings to move it in for 4:3 content, though given what I've seen of its placement on 4:3 content since the change in facilities, it could do with a little tweaking.
Last edited by PFML84 on 1 November 2020 11:25am - 2 times in total
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Looks like they are pillarboxing 4:3 on Gold SD.

35 days later

VM
VMPhil
Wallace & Gromit A Grand Day Out on Gold has very dodgy sound whenever there's music playing - like it's being played out of tune.

EDIT: I made it to the first break. Ouch, that is painful.
Last edited by VMPhil on 5 December 2020 11:49am
NA
natwel27
Noticed it during the end credits especially. Sounded more like a horror!

22 days later

AR
Argybargy
Well, it would appear that GOLD have already "de-Christmassed", going back to their normal idents on Boxing Day. I think this is the earliest ever date in their history that they've stopped their festive presentation. Heck, back in the day, even BBC One kept their Christmas idents going on Boxing Day.
FA
fanoftv
What a strange decision to take. For me the period between Christmas Day and New Year is the time to relax and watch TV, especially festive programming. It strikes me as being similar to people put up their Christmas decorations at the start of November taking them down on Boxing Day because “it’s all over for another year”.
TE
tesandco Founding member
That is assuming it's actually a deliberate decision. With the amount of small teething errors that seem to be going out on the UKTV channels since the playout move (announcements missing, ECP graphics playing over the opening titles of shows, flashes of other channel pres, wrong shows appearing etc) it wouldn't surprise me if it was just another accidental error. The giveaway might be if there are any GOLD trailers up to the New Year which still show any festive branding. Dave were still running their festive break bumpers and Drama still had trailers festively branded up until the New Year last night (can't see the festive Drama idents, but they weren't used much anyway), so it doesn't look to be uniform across all their channels anyway.

It still wouldn't beat that year Channel 5 made all those advent calendar idents for each day of the month, and then didn't actually put them in the system to go out on the 24th and 25th December. Wink
Last edited by tesandco on 27 December 2020 9:20am - 4 times in total
:-(
A former member
Deleted.
Last edited by A former member on 27 December 2020 10:11am - 2 times in total
KU
Kunst
Not related at all, but coming from a different country: yesterday the MTV Italian operation dropped its Christmas graphics too, which is very strange, since in Italy channels keep them until Epifania on the 6th of January.

But nowadays, most continental European ViacomCBS operarions have lost their independence, and come from Amsterdam (playout), Berlin (team), disappointingly
AR
Argybargy
That is assuming it's actually a deliberate decision. With the amount of small teething errors that seem to be going out on the UKTV channels since the playout move (announcements missing, ECP graphics playing over the opening titles of shows, flashes of other channel pres, wrong shows appearing etc) it wouldn't surprise me if it was just another accidental error. The giveaway might be if there are any GOLD trailers up to the New Year which still show any festive branding. Dave were still running their festive break bumpers and Drama still had trailers festively branded up until the New Year last night (can't see the festive Drama idents, but they weren't used much anyway), so it doesn't look to be uniform across all their channels anyway.

It still wouldn't beat that year Channel 5 made all those advent calendar idents for each day of the month, and then didn't actually put them in the system to go out on the 24th and 25th December. Wink

BIB- it's definitely intentional. The normal idents are back, as are the normal break-bumpers. Even one of their current trails opens with the statement "Christmas is nearly over". And all of the recently-shown Christmas specials are now nowhere to be seen in their schedule. They're already back to the wall-to-wall OFAH- just for a nice change!

Newer posts