The Newsroom

BBC News this Christmas - impact of cuts & Covid

No evening BBC 1 bulletins Xmas day & Boxing day (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
I enjoyed the bbc news Christmas sting at the end of yesterday’s bulletin. I can’t remember them doing one last year?

Without meaning to sound flippant, they've done one every year since 2007.
AndrewPSSP, Matthew_Fieldhouse and London Lite gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard
Match of the Day Live goes to a news bulletin during halftime
RN
Rolling News
Match of the Day Live goes to a news bulletin during halftime

I think the opening and closing titles were longer than the bulletin itself.
NE
Newsroom
An overall appalling commitment to News from the BBC over the Xmas period. I fathom why on earth Jane Hill was in there until almost midnight last night and Clive is there tonight for a bulletin probably watched by nobody.

Does anyone remember the golden years when Xmas day bulletins were massive ratings hits?
Londoner and Rolling News gave kudos
DO
dosxuk
I can't tell what your complaint is - that the BBC are getting their main anchors in for poorly watched bulletins; or that the BBC are bothering at all with bulletins that are probably watched by nobody. I'm not sure how either complaint is summed up by having an "appalling commitment to news" considering you could solve both of those complaints by not even bothering with the bulletin, it seems to me they're actually demonstrating a "commitment to news" by treating these bulletins as important parts of the schedule.
BB
bbc247
Tbh (as a UK viewer) I haven't found the Christmas simulcasting that annoying. It's probably partly because most of it has come from Studio E - which I really think looks 10x better than C (especially with the fake newsroom background) - and even though it's minor, I think the recent rewording of the the "UK and around the world" intro is a lot nicer. And there have been some of the best and most talented presenters on air over Christmas as well.
BR
Brekkie
An overall appalling commitment to News from the BBC over the Xmas period.

What rubbish.

Actually was a great PSB service to keep the bulletin short and sweet yesterday - 2 minutes of the headlines were all most people would need on Christmas Day, especially this year. Nobody needed the Brexit stuff or Covid situation in detail yesterday.
GI
ginnyfan
Nice to see World style bulletin endings done in Studio E.

BB
bbc247

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7VZZ28NCg4

Absolutely. Much better than the awkward "You're watching BBC News" opt outs they were doing before - only to go straight to the weather forecast directly after.
UN
Universal_r
Tbh (as a UK viewer) I haven't found the Christmas simulcasting that annoying. It's probably partly because most of it has come from Studio E - which I really think looks 10x better than C (especially with the fake newsroom background) - and even though it's minor, I think the recent rewording of the the "UK and around the world" intro is a lot nicer. And there have been some of the best and most talented presenters on air over Christmas as well.

Totally agree with this especially the point on the rewording of the intro, it makes the opening so much more simple and smooth. On Christmas Day Tim Wilcox had so many viewers to welcome he got all his words muddled.

BR
Brekkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7VZZ28NCg4

Wish they'd close the main network bulletins properly to rather than just throwing to the regional news, even if it just three or four pips.
GI
ginnyfan

Newer posts