TV Home Forum

New BBC Local Radio jingles

Launched on Radio Leicester (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

They did exactly the same thing with the national radio logos that were introduced in 2007, but in the years that followed the word 'Radio' was gradually added into most of the station names, such as BBC 6 Music officially becoming BBC Radio 6 Music in 2011, which I still think is a bit clunky compared to the original name. However they still have a logo that reads 'BBC Radio Asian Network' when the name is still, sensibly, just BBC Asian Network.

And of course there was once BBC7 which became BBC Radio 4 Extra.

There was also a period in between when it did become known as BBC Radio 7.
Last edited by Robert Williams on 8 December 2020 9:07am - 2 times in total
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
Clearly, the idea is for the logos to include an intact "BBC Radio" element regardless of what name is heard on air.

They did exactly the same thing with the national radio logos that were introduced in 2007, but in the years that followed the word 'Radio' was gradually added into most of the station names, such as BBC 6 Music officially becoming BBC Radio 6 Music in 2011, which I still think is a bit clunky compared to the original name. However they still have a logo that reads 'BBC Radio Asian Network' when the name is still, sensibly, just BBC Asian Network.

Quoting myself now, but this reminds me that the last lot of BBC Local Radio logos introduced in 2008 all went the other way and omitted the word 'Radio', the plan seemingly to be to remove that word from the station names. This was at a time when the local websites were being built up, and there was the possibility of the BBC's online local TV plan which eventually got squashed, so the local radio station would be just one part of a tri-media set-up for each area.

Although a few stations did officially remove the word 'Radio' from their names for a while (such as Wiltshire, Oxford, Lincolnshire), and might explain why BBC Essex never added it in when they had the opportunity, the websites were soon pruned back to placate local newspapers, and are now pretty hopeless, and eventually the local radio logos correctly reflected the station names.
Rexogamer and Spencer gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
There are all the Local Logos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nnCPeGaVNJYfCvYr5

Main Logo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mURz3pTYrpdPFUwHA

(Metropol Bieng Tempermental)

And of course BBC Essex couldn't rebrand as BBC Radio Essex because it would cause confusion with the commercial Radio Essex.

The tautological logo for "BBC Radio CWR" (hmm... what does that final R stand for?!) is at odds with the fact that there is of course no "Radio" uttered in the middle of the on-air name. I think that similar is true for some others too, e.g. it's verbally just "BBC Hereford & Worcester" on air IIRC. And I think that the on-air word order of the Beds/Herts/Bucks station (uniquely, and sensibly) moves the word to the end: "BBC Three Counties Radio" IIRC.

Yes, Three Counties Radio is still the brand name, regardless of the off-air branding.
AndrewPSSP, Cold Open and Anglialad gave kudos
NT
Night Thoughts
Clearly, the idea is for the logos to include an intact "BBC Radio" element regardless of what name is heard on air.

If I remember correctly, when the BBC introduced the digital stations in 2002/3 they dropped the word "radio" because people could listen online or through digital TV - so BBC 6 Music, BBC 7, BBC Asian Network (it'd already been running in the Midlands on AM, of course) and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra.

And then "radio" was shunted back into 6 Music's title later on, but 6 Music's branding has been a dog's dinner throughout its life - people calling it Radio 6 or "BBC6" (urgh), and DJs having jingles referring to the station in that manner - "punk before chips on Radio 6... with Marc Riley!" Would have been better off as Radio 6 from the start.

Speaking of branding niggles, was playing with an Alexa speaker today and found that when you ask it for 6 Music (or other BBC stations, I guess), it plays a BBC Sounds sting first, which is just a bit irritating.
AndrewPSSP, Rexogamer and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
NT
Night Thoughts
BBC Radio London at long last have the new jingles today. They are 'The Sound of London' and, as expected, are using the jingles without sung vocals.

It makes the station sounds a lot brighter (though the first time I heard the news intro, Jo Good talked right over the start of it...) - now they just have to sort out their programming!
AndrewPSSP, Anglialad and DeMarkay gave kudos
CU
Cusack

If I remember correctly, when the BBC introduced the digital stations in 2002/3 they dropped the word "radio" because people could listen online or through digital TV - so BBC 6 Music, BBC 7, BBC Asian Network (it'd already been running in the Midlands on AM, of course) and BBC 5 Live Sports Extra.

And then "radio" was shunted back into 6 Music's title later on, but 6 Music's branding has been a dog's dinner throughout its life - people calling it Radio 6 or "BBC6" (urgh), and DJs having jingles referring to the station in that manner - "punk before chips on Radio 6... with Marc Riley!" Would have been better off as Radio 6 from the start.

Speaking of branding niggles, was playing with an Alexa speaker today and found that when you ask it for 6 Music (or other BBC stations, I guess), it plays a BBC Sounds sting first, which is just a bit irritating.

It's been doing that since soon after they launched BBC Sounds
IS
Inspector Sands
Quote:

There was a sting before BBC Sounds, it was just a woman saying 'The BBC'. It appeared before theor podcasts and when opening a BBC 'skill'
AN
Anglialad
Quote:

There was a sting before BBC Sounds, it was just a woman saying 'The BBC'. It appeared before theor podcasts and when opening a BBC 'skill'

Including on the smart speaker news briefings too.
AN
Anglialad
BBC Radio London at long last have the new jingles today. They are 'The Sound of London' and, as expected, are using the jingles without sung vocals.

It makes the station sounds a lot brighter (though the first time I heard the news intro, Jo Good talked right over the start of it...) - now they just have to sort out their programming!

Well the departure of David Robey was a start, so we’ll just have to see what happens next.
AndrewPSSP, Rexogamer and DeMarkay gave kudos

16 days later

JB
JasonB
Looks like BBC local radio is having a national late show this evening.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Looks like BBC local radio is having a national late show this evening.

Pan England service since 1400 today.

Newer posts