TV Home Forum

The Wheel

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
I can't help thinking that after Danny Dyer's The Wall and Michael MacIntyre's The Wheel, the only logical next step is Harry Hill's The Well, where the big-collared comic dangles contestants over a hole in the ground.
JB
JasonB
I can't help thinking that after Danny Dyer's The Wall and Michael MacIntyre's The Wheel, the only logical next step is Harry Hill's The Well, where the big-collared comic dangles contestants over a hole in the ground.

#We're sending our love down the well#
davidhorman, DE88 and Ghost gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

JO
Johnr
No winner tonight, as Michael pointed out the odds of 3 contestants (plus the 3 celebrity opinions!) all losing a 1 in 4 punt must be pretty low!

It reminded me of poor Dale when he had no cheques to hand out at the end of In It To Win It!
DE88, gordonthegopher and DJ Dave gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
So if whoever makes it to the final question loses the other contestants get a go?
JO
Jon
Johnr posted:
No winner tonight, as Michael pointed out the odds of 3 contestants (plus the 3 celebrity opinions!) all losing a 1 in 4 punt must be pretty low!

Well about 1 in 4, I think?

That’s when you consider any of the questions aren’t typical general knowledge so as you say it’s a punt so the celebrity help won’t make much difference.
SJ
sjhoward
Jon posted:
That’s when you consider any of the questions aren’t typical general knowledge so as you say it’s a punt so the celebrity help won’t make much difference.

In fairness, two of the three final questions last night were very guessable / deducible.

The road sign question had three options which indicated things crossing a road and one in which the figure is stationary: it would make a lot of sense to assume that figures crossing a road on standardised road signs always move in the same direction, which would have led the contestant to the correct answer.

On the bears question, even without knowing Bergmann’s rule, it would have been reasonable to assume that a species living in a cold climate would need a smaller surface area to volume ratio to survive, which again would have led the contestant to the correct answer.

Only the Oscars question required a total guess if the contestant didn’t know the answer.

Easy when you’re sat at home and all that...! 🤣
Last edited by sjhoward on 13 December 2020 11:40am
BA
bilky asko
Jon posted:
Johnr posted:

Well about 1 in 4, I think?

Making the presumption that each answer is selected at random by each contestant in the situation where nobody knows the answer, and noting that each event is independent of each other, the chances of it happening are just over 42% (27 in 64, to be precise).
RO
rob Founding member
#We're sending our love down the well#

ALL THE WAY DOWN!

13 days later

JO
Josh
Looks like there's another hidden point: If everyone on the wheel gets the question right, £5,000 is added to the prize fund as well as the base prize.
DA
davidhorman
Not sure I see the point in a "Celebrity" edition which only has slightly more celebrities than usual on it.
VM
VMPhil
Not sure I see the point in a "Celebrity" edition which only has slightly more celebrities than usual on it.

I guess they still have to do something to make it special for Christmas rather than a standard episode with normal humans.

Newer posts