TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible.

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Ever wonder what the BBC Parliament breakdown slide looks like?

This wasn't a BBC Parliament breakdown as such, the feed from the House of Commons on the website had exactly the same fault. Frozen picture and a horrible scratchy noise on the soundtrack.

Sound and picture was still glitching a few minutes later off and on.
AndrewPSSP, Anglialad and Ghost gave kudos
LW
LWTfan1968
Ever wonder what the BBC Parliament breakdown slide looks like?

Why yes, along with the other digital channels. Nice find!
NJ
Not a find, it was going out on BBC Parliament about 15 minutes ago. I just took a screenshot.

11 days later

GH
Ghost
A complete meltdown on BBC News:

IT
itvblocks
Two hiccups for CITV before Sooty and Co's first outing.

First, the end of a Monster Munch advert cuts to the final frame of a Butcher's Dog Food advert which had probably been played in another region and Granada opted in just a tad early.

Secondly, after the trailer for Captain Zed, Steve announces the arrival of Sooty's shop...only for everyone to realise that the title haven't materialised and that "Sooty doesn't want to come out at the moment" (at least we didn't get an lengthy amount of black screen), after a few more seconds, Steve is cut off as the titles finally begin!

This was handled very well, considering that behind Steve there was probably a bunch of angry men furiously hitting the big red button several times! Laughing

(Mishap is at 2:03)

Last edited by itvblocks on 26 December 2020 4:27pm
SC
Si-Co
I’m surprised to see that brief snippet of the Butcher’s ad - it would be rare for whoever was networking CITV (was it still Central in this era?) to be sending out a dirty feed complete with ads. I know it’s a presented feed with trailers and live links, but I still wouldn’t expect there to be ads on it.
NW
nwtv2003
First, the end of a Monster Munch advert (at 1:3Cool cuts to the final frame of a Butcher's Dog Food advert which had probably been played in another region and Granada opted in just a tad early.

I uploaded this clip and I have a simple explanation for this. It was me editing the clip quite badly.

Basically I recorded the whole junction with all of the adverts, including the Butchers one (and the whole episode of Sooty) onto VHS. Many moons later I bought a DVD recorder and started transferring all the continuity clips I had onto DVD. My first recorder had an option where you could pause the DVD recording, which is what I did with this clip, hence why you see the last frame of the Butchers advert. I was conscious of the available recording space and getting as much as I could onto one disc. DVD+RW were still a premium at this time, which was about 15 years ago. I simply left my DVD edit onto that clip and forgot to edit it out when putting the clip together.

I wasn’t the best at editing clips back then and I can only apologise, but hope that clarifies it for you.
RO
robertclark125
Cardiff Blues rugby team have posted on twitter, that they're aware of people having problems with the Premier Sports feed today. They've explained the game is live on S4C today as well. Is this becoming a regular occurence on Premier Sports?
IT
itvblocks
First, the end of a Monster Munch advert (at 1:3Cool cuts to the final frame of a Butcher's Dog Food advert which had probably been played in another region and Granada opted in just a tad early.

I uploaded this clip and I have a simple explanation for this. It was me editing the clip quite badly.

Basically I recorded the whole junction with all of the adverts, including the Butchers one (and the whole episode of Sooty) onto VHS. Many moons later I bought a DVD recorder and started transferring all the continuity clips I had onto DVD. My first recorder had an option where you could pause the DVD recording, which is what I did with this clip, hence why you see the last frame of the Butchers advert. I was conscious of the available recording space and getting as much as I could onto one disc. DVD+RW were still a premium at this time, which was about 15 years ago. I simply left my DVD edit onto that clip and forgot to edit it out when putting the clip together.

I wasn’t the best at editing clips back then and I can only apologise, but hope that clarifies it for you.

Well, that makes a lot more sense now. Never mind. Laughing
NJ
Two hiccups for CITV before Sooty and Co's first outing.

First, the end of a Monster Munch advert cuts to the final frame of a Butcher's Dog Food advert which had probably been played in another region and Granada opted in just a tad early.

Secondly, after the trailer for Captain Zed, Steve announces the arrival of Sooty's shop...only for everyone to realise that the title haven't materialised and that "Sooty doesn't want to come out at the moment" (at least we didn't get an lengthy amount of black screen), after a few more seconds, Steve is cut off as the titles finally begin!

This was handled very well, considering that behind Steve there was probably a bunch of angry men furiously hitting the big red button several times! Laughing

CITV didn't have full control over the whole output and the airing of the programmes themselves until 1998, so at this time, September 1993, Sooty & Co would have come directly from Granada. (previously Sooty c/o Harry Corbett started at the BBC in 1955 and in a nutshell a "do it our way or don't do it all" disagreement occurred with the then controller of BBC One in the mid 1960s and Harry decided to bugger off with the bear and move to ITV and Thames in 1968. Sooty stayed there (with Harry and later Matthew Corbett) until Thames lost their licence at the end of 1992, after which the group moved up to Manchester, both physically and in the script/storyline on the then new show, Sooty & Co).
DE88, itvblocks and ToasterMan gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
Then, of course, you have (I presume) Granada cut short their own credits to make up for lost time.
NW
nwtv2003
Then, of course, you have (I presume) Granada cut short their own credits to make up for lost time.

They did, the credits for Sooty ran for about ten seconds and then cut to the Granada endcap.

Newer posts