Mass Media & Technology

How likely do you think it would be for UKTV to join iPlayer

Owned by the same company so makes sense (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
In my opinion the transition is almost.inevitable and would expose more people to the brands and content from the UKTV channels.

They already have S4C on iPlayer and that isn't even owned by them so it makes sense for the UKTV channels to join.
LL
London Lite Founding member
There's no chance at all that UKTV's channels will join iPlayer. It's a PSB licence fee product which is why S4C was able to join, while UKTV is a revenue making business.

This is why you won't see BBC World News on iPlayer, nor on Sky/Virgin/Freeview as it's another BBC commercial operation.
DB
dbl
No chance, UKTV Play is needed especially when doing platform deals.
JO
Joe
I’m curious why you think it’s inevitable?
:-(
A former member
The BBC could make a fortune out of allowing other channels onto iPlayer. UKTV is one example but something like Channel 5, who probably struggle to get people to stream their stuff normally, would get a huge amount of extra exposure.
AndrewPSSP, Joe and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Joe posted:
I’m curious why you think it’s inevitable?

I think that in 10-20 years time when the licence fee sadly becomes defunct the BBC will bring UKTV under its own brand.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
The BBC could make a fortune out of allowing other channels onto iPlayer. UKTV is one example but something like Channel 5, who probably struggle to get people to stream their stuff normally, would get a huge amount of extra exposure.

Yeah. If there were to be one unified platform for the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and UKTV then iPlayer would be a very strong competitor to Netflix. In an ideal world they could monetise and add adverts to some programmes and have the BBC's remain ad-free.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The best thing about iPlayer is that it simply works and the BBC have done a decent job in providing the only 50fps 'free' VOD service going, but All4 is now 1080p as standard for the majority of their output, but it is being left behind by Netflix and Amazon who offer up to 4K and 1080p is the norm on those platforms.

iPlayer really needs to have 1080p as standard across the board for their VOD as while 720p/50fps is good, it could be better.
JA
james-2001
The best thing about iPlayer is that it simply works and the BBC have done a decent job in providing the only 50fps 'free' VOD service going

ITV Hub is 50fps now too.
JO
Jonwo
I've always thought the BBC would make a killing licensing the iPlayer technology to the other broadcaster.
AndrewPSSP and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard

Yeah. If there were to be one unified platform for the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and UKTV then iPlayer would be a very strong competitor to Netflix. In an ideal world they could monetise and add adverts to some programmes and have the BBC's remain ad-free.

I'm sure there was a brief point around 2010/2011 where the TV Guide function also gave the ITV/C4/C5 channels and you could click the programme links and it would take you to the relevant catch up services.
watchingtv and MarkT76 gave kudos
IJ
IanJRedman
The best thing about iPlayer is that it simply works and the BBC have done a decent job in providing the only 50fps 'free' VOD service going, but All4 is now 1080p as standard for the majority of their output, but it is being left behind by Netflix and Amazon who offer up to 4K and 1080p is the norm on those platforms.

iPlayer really needs to have 1080p as standard across the board for their VOD as while 720p/50fps is good, it could be better.

Is iPlayer 1080p on smart TVs now?

Newer posts