TV Home Forum

Smtv Live reunion

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Getting back to the documentry, looks like the archive clips are pillarboxed, which is a pleasant suprise. SM:TV (and CD:UK with it) was one of the last shows still being made in 4:3, right up until the end of 2003. I've often wondered what the reason that was, clearly editorial rather than technical seeing as other shows from TLS Studio 2 were being made in 16:9 right from 1998.
Last edited by james-2001 on 23 December 2020 10:20pm
JA
james-2001
Also another edition from 2001 (the one listed as SF-11) on there which does have the original captions, but the picture is blank during the chart, hotshots & news segments (though the intro animations are there), which is unusual! Maybe it was pre-recorded and the news and chart segments were added later? Also only seems to be about 20 minutes long, must have been a forumula 1 week or something where it was cut down. I wonder how many versions of some episodes they have, and if the as broadcast ones have always been saved? This feels like it's getting very similar to some of the TOTP discussions we've had...

Yeah just watched it and looks like a pre record. The clock starts at 10:00 rather than 11:30 for live shows.

Clearly they were confident enough that Geri would be number 1 at least, even though they wouldn't have known what the rest of the top 10 was.

I wonder if those segments were voiced by someone else on the actual broadcast? That often happened with pre-records, especially from 2004 onwards.
ME
mediaman2007
Also another edition from 2001 (the one listed as SF-11) on there which does have the original captions, but the picture is blank during the chart, hotshots & news segments (though the intro animations are there), which is unusual! Maybe it was pre-recorded and the news and chart segments were added later? Also only seems to be about 20 minutes long, must have been a forumula 1 week or something where it was cut down. I wonder how many versions of some episodes they have, and if the as broadcast ones have always been saved? This feels like it's getting very similar to some of the TOTP discussions we've had...

Yeah just watched it and looks like a pre record. The clock starts at 10:00 rather than 11:30 for live shows.

Clearly they were confident enough that Geri would be number 1 at least, even though they wouldn't have known what the rest of the top 10 was.

I wonder if those segments were voiced by someone else on the actual broadcast? That often happened with pre-records, especially from 2004 onwards.

I don't remember anyone else doing voiceovers until 2004 as you say which was random with Cat hosting the show but a radio dj doing the voiceover.
JA
james-2001
I always felt CD:UK went rapidly downhill once it was detatched from SM:TV. Didn't help how often it was pre-recorded or had random presenters. And let's not even mention the 2005 revamp with the MiTracks chart which bore no resemblance to the actual chart.
JC
JCB
I never particularly cared for CD:UK, I would've much preferred another hour of SM:TV.
JA
james-2001
Of course SM:TV wouldn't exist if it wasn't for CD:UK, as we've discussed before SM:TV was literally an afterthought originally and CD:UK was the main event. Things went on to change quite quickly of course.

With that video that was posted yesterday mentioning Mariah Carey, that was one of the things about SM:TV, you had big stars queuing up to be on it and to be on it just for the sake of being on it, not because they had something to plug which was usually the only reason stars went on Saturday morning shows. The stars actually wanted to be there.
LO
loydy
I've screen grabbed a couple of images from the pilot and 1st episode. They filmed the pilot on the Saturday the week before it went on air and pretty much did the same script and jokes (with obvious rewrites for anything that felt didn't work on the pilot). CD:UK also had an audience and bands for their pilot, with Kenicke and Stay In The Sun was the first performance. The week after for the live TX it was Faithless with God Is A DJ.

SM:TV PILOT:

SM:TV LIVE TX 1:

CD:UK PILOT:

CD:UK LIVE TX 1:
Last edited by loydy on 24 December 2020 9:55pm
paul_hadley, DE88 and VMPhil gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Your images don't show up, so I opened one in a new tab and got Error 403 Forbidden. They're private! Change your settings and make them public please.
LO
loydy
JAS84 posted:
Your images don't show up, so I opened one in a new tab and got Error 403 Forbidden. They're private! Change your settings and make them public please.

Should be fixed now!
JA
james-2001
Been seeing the trailer quite a bit, which is a pleasant suprise, was even on before Corrie tonight.
ME
mediaman2007
Would love to see those pilots in video form!!

Love how Ant and Dec are the wrong way round in the SMTV pilot too. Glad they sorted that the next week.
JA
james-2001
loydy posted:
CD:UK PILOT:

I remember that circular thing on the celing with the CD:UK logo... don't think it lasted for long. Definitely remember it being prominent during the first SM:TV.

This is the trailer that appeared after the final edition of The Chart Show:

paul_hadley and DE88 gave kudos

Newer posts