TV Home Forum

The Queen to deliver alternative Xmas message - or is she?

Christmas Day C4 3.25pm (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Deep fake technology will be used to have the Queen deliver C4's alternative Christmas message, voiced by Debra Stephenson.

C4 say the intention is to give a "stark warning" about the extent to which "fake news" can go.

Personally think they've misjudged this and a far more reflective and timely message would be appropriate this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55424730
SA
SA100
Maybe she could announce she will pay her own security bill. Slim down the palaces and family.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Personally think they've misjudged this and a far more reflective and timely message would be appropriate this year.

Is there anything you've been happy about on the TV front this year?
AA
Amber Avenger
To be fair, I get where Brekkie is coming from. It's an interesting take but feels like it's from a totally different year (would have been explosive a year ago, although perhaps the technology has moved on a lot even since then)

Given what's gone on this year, the amount of scope for an alternative view on everything is quite wide and to settle on this seems a bit of a response to a question nobody asked. But then I guess the idea of it all is to expect something unexpected.
JO
Jonwo

Brekkie is TVForum's very own Scrooge!
ME
mediaman2007
Jonwo posted:

Brekkie is TVForum's very own Scrooge!

He has stiff competition around these parts.
JC
JCB
A "stark warning" about fake news seems about 4 years too late.
IS
Inspector Sands

Given what's gone on this year, the amount of scope for an alternative view on everything is quite wide and to settle on this seems a bit of a response to a question nobody asked. But then I guess the idea of it all is to expect something unexpected.

Given what's gone on this year I think it's never been a better time to do this

I think as long as it's done in a relatively light hearted way and isn't trying too hard to be authentic then I don't see anything wrong with it. The clip on the BBC News article suggests this is the tone they're taking
AA
Amber Avenger

Given what's gone on this year I think it's never been a better time to do this

I think as long as it's done in a relatively light hearted way and isn't trying too hard to be authentic then I don't see anything wrong with it. The clip on the BBC News article suggests this is the tone they're taking

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, like I say it's an interesting idea. I just think there are so many more interesting perspectives they could have highlighted from this year. From the clips so far, with slight tweaks, it really could have been an alternative message any year from 2016 onwards - to me that's why it misses the mark for 2020.

It's already generated far more headlines than many of the recent alternative messages though and undoubtedly it will get people talking.
AndrewPSSP, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos
MI
Michael

Then you've misjudged what you think Channel 4 is for.
KU
Kunst
Great initiative
GO
gottago
Such a great idea. In an age where the channel's management regularly misjudge their own service they've finally managed to commission something that's very Channel 4.

Newer posts