TV Home Forum

Music Channels

Trace Urban axed. Trace Hits to launch on 5th January (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LY
Lynetwork
It's a shame to see the end of Home & Health and Shed, but those were definitely the least surprising choices for the axe. Especially since TLC and Quest Red cover most of H&H's content, and Shed is covered by mostly Quest and a bit of DMAX, plus the launch of Discovery+ making the channels more redundant than ever before.
TI
This Is Granada
Quote:
Can't say I'm surprised by the closure of Discovery Shed/Home & Health......I actually predicted it in the TV Predictions 2021 thread.

Given that H&H and Shed did not feature in the Discovery+ channel lineup when it launched was the biggest give away that the 2 channels were on the life support machine and were ready to be switched off. Now we know for sure they will be put to rest.
TI
This Is Granada
As for TRACE (seeing as this is a music channels thread) I suspect even Trace Hits will be a flop just like Trace Urban/ Latina.

Trace Vault & Trace Hits will close in 2021....and nobody will probably even notice (except for TV Forumers).
DB
dbl
Quote:
Can't say I'm surprised by the closure of Discovery Shed/Home & Health......I actually predicted it in the TV Predictions 2021 thread.

Given that H&H and Shed did not feature in the Discovery+ channel lineup when it launched was the biggest give away that the 2 channels were on the life support machine and were ready to be switched off. Now we know for sure they will be put to rest.

Yeah, even 4 years ago Shed and H&H weren't given much love internally. Not surprised they're shutting down now.
KE
kernow
Not much of a surprise to hear that Trace Urban won't be returning.

If Trace Hits is indeed a flop, it will be interesting to see what happens with Trace Vault. It gets relatively good ratings, so they may decide to either sell it, or keep it as a standalone channel.
Roger Darthwell and Sh1ruba gave kudos
CA
Caly123
It doesn't give any mention of NOW XMAS rebranding back to NOW 90s.
PF
PFML84
I doubt it will stay Now Xmas for the whole year. It returning to Now 90's is a certainty.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Now XMAS returns to Now 80s, and 'Now 80s' back to Now 90s on Sunday 27th December (therefore not mentioned on the January thread), they always go back to normal either on Boxing Day or the day after.
IN
Interceptor
I wonder if Trace are lining the channels up for a sale? I can't see that the Trace brand adds anything now.
kernow and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
KE
kernow

Sh1ruba and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
BE
Bennyboy1984
When channels play Wonderful Christmas Time it has a few video defects such as coloured lines on the screen and other artefacts as well as the lined pink screen at the very end. I’m guessing this is due to its age and how it was recorded?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
When channels play Wonderful Christmas Time it has a few video defects such as coloured lines on the screen and other artefacts as well as the lined pink screen at the very end. I’m guessing this is due to its age and how it was recorded?

Usually because it's a crap copy in the first place made at a time before widescreen became the norm, so the solution to the "widescreen problem" is to crop the crap out of it, which takes a lot of the resolution out of it and generates a horrible zoomed in effect, particularly on videotape material.

Wonderful Christmas Time turned up on YouTube as a "remastered" job:

But I suspect because it was released in 1979 it's one of those "film on location and videotape in a studio" jobs, so it's not going to be along the lines of Last Christmas quality, though it will look better but it can't be HD because of the videotape content. There are no "lines" on the pink screen on the YouTube copy so I suspect somebody's bodged the transfer.

Last Christmas only got a 4k restoration/YouTube replacement because it was shot on film at the time and they traced all bar one of the original film reels and remastered the thing properly. Some other YouTube videos? Yeah, might as well have not bothered:

Newer posts