TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four

LL
London Lite Founding member London London
First time I've heard what appears to be a punk song since the 80s!
BH
BillyH Founding member London London
I'd rather than be number one than the sauage roll bloke Razz

I find the LadBaby phenom rather fascinating because absolutely no one I know has heard of him where I live, yet he sells tens of thousands of sales with ease every year and this might be his third Xmas #1 in a row. Is it a regional thing? I live in London, is it further north where all these people howl with laughter about mildly-rewritten songs about sausage rolls so much they hammer the Buy Song button on iTunes every twelve months? Or does he just have an extremely devoted fan base who do everything they can to tower him over the rest of the charts?
Member since 26 May 2001
MU
mumu03

I find the LadBaby phenom rather fascinating because absolutely no one I know has heard of him where I live, yet he sells tens of thousands of sales with ease every year and this might be his third Xmas #1 in a row. Is it a regional thing? I live in London, is it further north where all these people howl with laughter about mildly-rewritten songs about sausage rolls so much they hammer the Buy Song button on iTunes every twelve months? Or does he just have an extremely devoted fan base who do everything they can to tower him over the rest of the charts?

I think it genuinely is just his fanbase, plus one or two people on Facebook who've seen a post campaigning for it or something. You get these types with any moderately big social media influencer or YouTube channel now, and the fact that a few thousand of them can send their beloved content creator to number one is a bit of a sad indictment of where the singles charts are at now, I think.

They have, of course, been reformatted to near oblivion with the advent of streaming - some of the rules are for good, as we won't ever have another week where almost the entire Top 20 is taken up by Ed Sheeran, but then some of them easily allow someone like LadBaby to have a Christmas number one for at least three consecutive years. One digital download by some middle-aged mum who hasn't set up a Spotify is always going to be worth more than a few streams of a new Jess Glynne song, or something.
DE88, james-2001 and BillyH gave kudos
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Coming back to the Christmas chart and if they do the full top 10 then there is a problematic track at no 8 in the current midweek chart. Even heavily censored, title isn’t exactly family friendly.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart-update/
Neither are the artist's and record company's names!

BORIS JOHNSON IS A F**KING C**T
K**TS
DISCO *****
IS
Inspector Sands

I'd heard of them and watched their videos before the sausage roll thing came along. They've millions of followers online across various places. Their videos are quite funny, although the playing of practical jokes on each other thing got a little tired and repetitive. Their appeal for me is that they come across as such a decent nice family. They're not your usual social media stars, they're very genuine.

Remember too that they're charity songs - raising money for the Trussell Trust. They aren't taking it that seriously, the songs are silly and not that great and they know that, but they raise a heck of lot of money and awareness. A lot of it is the 'sucking it to the music industry' thing too. What's surprising is how they've managed to do it 3 times in a row.

Incidently they have streamed themselves listening to the radio when Christmas number 1 is being announced and their reactions to the news are wonderful (skip to 8 mins for the actual moment)
BA
bilky asko Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Which reminds me, it's about time I purchased All I Want For Christmas is You as an MP3 and stream it on Spotify constantly until Friday.

Avatar Credit: © Independent Television News. Avatar Subject: Jonathan George Snow HonFRIBA
IS
Inspector Sands
Think my favourite charity song this year is the one by a group of ICU nurses, if only for the choice of song - Every Breath You Take. I can't decide whether that's a great choice or a slightly bad taste one.. Probably both! Very Happy
IS
Inspector Sands
JAS84 posted:
Coming back to the Christmas chart and if they do the full top 10 then there is a problematic track at no 8 in the current midweek chart. Even heavily censored, title isn’t exactly family friendly.

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart-update/
Neither are the artist's and record company's names!

BORIS JOHNSON IS A F**KING C**T
K**TS
DISCO *****

Oddly, on this page they don't censor the words:
https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/ladbabys-dont-stop-me-eatin-rolls-in-at-number-1-on-the-official-trending-chart__31911/
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Amusingly the song with an unbroadcastable name has a clean version (I'm not sure it's quite a radio edit) "Boris Johnson is a Sausage Roll"
Write that down in your copybook now.
ET
ethanh05 Wales Wales Today

Remember too that they're charity songs - raising money for the Trussell Trust. They aren't taking it that seriously, the songs are silly and not that great and they know that, but they raise a heck of lot of money and awareness. A lot of it is the 'sucking it to the music industry' thing too. What's surprising is how they've managed to do it 3 times in a row.

I find this quite tedious, to be honest - 'as long as they're doing it for charity, it doesn't matter if the song is awful'. No, it does, that's not an excuse. I think I'm just a bit sick of charity records after this year, and they often play on your emotional vulnerability in order to sell more copies. I just hope he doesn't do 'Sausage Roll With It' or whatever next year, but he probably will. Even the Spice Girls could only manage three Christmas number ones.

And about the whole 'sticking it to the music industry' thing - well, this is just as boring as when all the X Factor winners would get to number one, only the songs are somehow less funny than they were back then.

The entire chart needs a rethink to be honest - streams have pretty much killed it dead, to the point where rules like ACR (Accelerated Chart Ratio, ie. the Sheeran rule) are mandated in order to make it more exciting.
Anglialad and james-2001 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Don't all charities play on your emotions for donations? Especially the ones that really shouldn't have to exist
Write that down in your copybook now.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

I find this quite tedious, to be honest - 'as long as they're doing it for charity, it doesn't matter if the song is awful'. No, it does, that's not an excuse. I think I'm just a bit sick of charity records after this year, and they often play on your emotional vulnerability in order to sell more copies. I just hope he doesn't do 'Sausage Roll With It' or whatever next year, but he probably will. Even the Spice Girls could only manage three Christmas number ones.

And about the whole 'sticking it to the music industry' thing - well, this is just as boring as when all the X Factor winners would get to number one, only the songs are somehow less funny than they were back then.

Aren't you a happy little soul today? Get out the wrong side of bed per chance? Wink

In an ideal world charity wouldn't need to exist, everything would run beautifully, every edge case covered by some institution somewhere paid for by a endless pot of money coming out of the state and every day would be like waking up in a Disney cartoon. The reality is and always has been different - the grimness just varies and the promises of salvation from the powers that be vanish into conventionally placed black holes... But I digress.

Newer posts