TV Home Forum

End of the road for UTV?

Split from UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LW
LWTfan1968
I think that the UTV name will probably continue in some way, although probably only internally like LWT. Considering that the BBC has NI branding for both One and Two, however, removing the UTV name will make ITV seem less local, and they'll probably lose any viewers who watched solely for the news (not that there are many)... "ITV News Northern Ireland" (or whatever they go with, maybe ITV News Ulster?) just sounds generic.
BR
Brekkie
Quote:
In April, local continuity announcements and branding between programmes were suspended to reduce risk and minimise the number of people in the Belfast office. ITV said that the changes had worked well and, as a result, it decided to make the modifications permanent. Continuity announcements will continue to be provided centrally, meaning there is no longer a requirement for local continuity announcers.

Sounds pretty confirmatory to me. Why bother hanging on to the UTV name if it will be used so sparingly? How many local programmes will it really need to be used for and trailers made for? It isn't worth the extra cost and time.

My mistake.

ITV though probably have more brands now than they ever did in their regional guise, so another brand for programming in NI isn't too much effort. Or they could just rebrand UTV as Potato.
LW
LWTfan1968

Or they could just rebrand UTV as Potato.

I seriously hope that's sarcasm or satire.
DeeMartie and Rijowhi gave kudos
RI
Rijowhi
I agree it probably isn’t worth ITV keeping the UTV name alive, though as I said before some localised idents and pre-recorded announcements for local programming wouldn’t go amiss.
DE
denton
Quote:
In April, local continuity announcements and branding between programmes were suspended to reduce risk and minimise the number of people in the Belfast office. ITV said that the changes had worked well and, as a result, it decided to make the modifications permanent. Continuity announcements will continue to be provided centrally, meaning there is no longer a requirement for local continuity announcers.

Sounds pretty confirmatory to me. Why bother hanging on to the UTV name if it will be used so sparingly? How many local programmes will it really need to be used for and trailers made for? It isn't worth the extra cost and time.

My mistake.

ITV though probably have more brands now than they ever did in their regional guise, so another brand for programming in NI isn't too much effort. Or they could just rebrand UTV as Potato.

That would just be confusing... some local programmes are already sponsored by potatoes.
TI
titanic_television

BA
Ballyboy
heartbreaking. i wish them well
BA
Ballyboy
i take it Munier Louise Small or Aisling will take his place?
RI
Richard
It’s a real shame. I think they’re all talented individuals and I think that Ken Reid played such an important role in covering the end of the troubles, the peace process what’s happened since that he will be sorely, sorely missed. His experience gives him the perspective to make insightful journalism.

Ditto Mark Devenport at BBC. It feels like the end of an era.
denton, DE88 and Colm gave kudos
CO
Colm
That only leaves Rose, Pamela and Paul as the only on-screen links to the Ulster Television days.

I hope Tracey Magee gets promoted to Political Editor; she deserves it.

But what about the weather?

Will an actual meteorologist land Frankie's job?

Could this be a last-gasp chance for a reprieve for Jules or Gilly?

Would they dare poach Angie, Cee, Barra or Geoff from the other side?

Maybe they could persuade Robin Taylor to give up teaching physics and come back to UTV? (Highly unlikely, but I can dream)

Or will you share Ais Creevey with us in Anglia-land full-time and have your local weather made in Narridge? (Highly likely)
CO
Colm
Heart-warming to see fond and sincere tributes on social media, particularly to Ken from local and national colleagues in journalism, alongside the Northern Irish political spectrum.
TI
This Is Granada
So soon after we lose Julian & Gillian from 'the UTV' and now another 3 are going! Sad to see Frank leave...'School around the corner' and 'UTV Life' some of his highlights for me.

I wonder who will take over the weather? I wouldn't mind either our Julian/Gillian back on screen....but seeing as a few weeks ago we were told they have both left UTV, rather then "moved to another role", I suspect it wont be either...sadly Sad

Newer posts