TV Home Forum

Smtv Live reunion

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
SM:tv without a doubt was ITV's best effort at Saturday Morning TV of the 90s at least, and the last great Saturday morning show really - but other than launching the careers of Ant and Dec (as presenters) and Cat, I'm not quite sure what if it really has the legacy of the big BBC Saturday morning shows that came before it.

I guess the trouble is the legacy has been stolen - by TV chefs! I wonder how much a show like SM:tv actually cost ITV annually - IIRC from earlier talk the budget kind of went on CD:UK and SM:tv was made from the scraps left over.

Not has good but MOM did ok for helping Stephen and Holly in their career

I think it's fair to say Stephen's career was already fine well before MoM, he was already CITV's star presenter. I doubt when MoM started you could have predicted within a few years that Stephen and Holly would be ITV's top talents overall though.
ME
mediaman2007
Cando posted:
Flux posted:

A copy of SMTV with "cool" presenters like Dani Behr. And a CDUK copycat Top of the Pops Reloaded. Yes i know you can say CDUK was a TOTP copycat but it was a very different spin on the music format. TOTP Reloaded was a desperate spoiler directly against CDUK.

Actually, the original Saturday Show was meant to directly appeal to an older audience I believe. It was treated as a prime time commission and they wanted it to feel more mature with non-kids talent in Dani Behr and Joe Mace. It tanked and they did a 180 so it became L&K in all but name by the time it returned with Fearne Cotton and Simon Grant.

Era 1 was neck and neck by the end.
Behr gave numerous bitchy interviews complaining about it. It shows how much SMTV had fallen when that rubbish could close the gap on it

2002 was an awful year for SMTV. Too much still in the shadow of Ant, Dec and Cat and having them back as guests on occasion. Really they needed a six month break or something. It was never going to be as good without the geordies but it could have come close with people like Stephen Mulhern (who they hired too late) and Holly Willoughby. The likes of H and Claire would have fitted the BBC more.
JA
james-2001
Still don't think 2002 SM:TV was as bad as 1999-2000 Live & Kicking was though. That was probably the nadir of Saturday morning TV, on either channel.
ME
mediaman2007
Still don't think 2002 SM:TV was as bad as 1999-2000 Live & Kicking was though.

The worst bit i ever saw on l&k was when andi peters (great guy) opened the show and its new hosts emma and steve with something like "mind the ants and the cats otherwise someone might dec you" i mean what was that about. Why promote your competition with a lame in joke?

2003 was slightly better for SMTV. The new theme and set were terrible but they started having likeable presenters like stephen and des. Would have been interesting to see how they would have worked out with a female co host. Or if dick and dom had indeed joined SMTV.
JA
james-2001
If Dick & Dom had joined, presumably it wouldn't have been axed at the end of 2003, as they wouldn't have got rid of the show so quickly after poaching them.
JC
JCB
SM:tv without a doubt was ITV's best effort at Saturday Morning TV of the 90s at least, and the last great Saturday morning show really - but other than launching the careers of Ant and Dec (as presenters) and Cat, I'm not quite sure what if it really has the legacy of the big BBC Saturday morning shows that came before it.

Different people will have different tastes but i always thought SMTV/CDUK was very well made for a kids show. The proof was in the pudding with L&K axed as SMTV demolished it.

Not the first year it didn't. Ant & Dec have said themselves if Zoe & Jamie had stayed on L&K another year SMTV probably wouldn't have survived. As much as I loved SM:TV I did prefer the variety of L&K.
JA
james-2001
Would they have bought back Scratchy & Co, Mashed and Tricky if SM:TV had been axed in 1999? Razz

Claudia Winkleman was a presenter on Tricky, so makes both Strictly hosts are ITV Saturday morning veterans.
ME
mediaman2007
Would they have bought back Scratchy & Co, Mashed and Tricky if SM:TV had been axed in 1999? Razz

Claudia Winkleman was a presenter on Tricky, so makes both Strictly hosts are ITV Saturday morning veterans.

I hope she was better than Tess was on SMTV

I remember Mashed doing a live link to Ant and dec promoting SMTV on their last show.
JA
james-2001
Make your mind up:

Ghost, mediaman2007 and DE88 gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Though coming to bad Saturday morning shows... FBi must come close to winning too. There's a clip here of the start of the first show, and there's a feature that only Vernon was involved with, and you see Keith and Kate awkwardly shuffling away in the background.

You don't hear Vernon mentioning the show often even though it was his first terrestrial TV show...
AN
Andrew Founding member
Make your mind up:

It can’t be Claudia, I can see part of her forehead
DJ
DJ Dave
Though coming to bad Saturday morning shows... FBi must come close to winning too. There's a clip here of the start of the first show, and there's a feature that only Vernon was involved with, and you see Keith and Kate awkwardly shuffling away in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2GyDfVN9g

You don't hear Vernon mentioning the show often even though it was his first terrestrial TV show...

FBi was Fully Booked rebranded I think for the 3rd time? also the Saturday show was revamped 3 times I think? Yeah L&K was awful after Zoe and Jamie left and the last version was even worse.

Newer posts