TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four

JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Don't they realise the chart was only released on Christmas Eve and therefore the show had to be filmed before then? It's been reverted.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
They presumably saw the BBC4 screening last night and assumed that's what went out at the time. Admittedly there was no mention anywhere from BBC4 or on the iPlayer than it was an unbroadcast version, so you can sort of understand it.

The more I watch the Mike Flowers performance, the more I laugh my head off, the whole thing is such a piss-take. I'd almost go as far as classing it as a comedy record.
MU
mumu03
I do wonder how many years they've made multiple versions of the Christmas episode? Though I imagine if they have, in most cases while they'll have recorded different links (and possibly unbroadcast performances)

I think the 1999 Christmas edition may be an example of this - that Cuban Boys performance which later ended up on TOTP2 was probably filmed for it, and there were some obvious edits made in the broadcast version to get around whatever was cut out.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Though that era of TOTP has countless unaired performances anyway due to the way Chris Cowey did things. Though you are right that the 1999 Xmas edition has some bad and obvious editing, I think even one of the links cuts out half way through.

Mentioning the Cuban Boys though, Ricardo Autobahn seems to be a watcher of the BBC4 repeats and regularly replies to the TOTP facts twitter account.
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 December 2020 3:35pm
CO
Colm Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
The Mike Flowers Pops were never actually shown on any TOTP.

They were - as an exclusive performance on 14th December 1995, introduced by John Peel - who gives Kevin Greening on 'wonderful Radio 1' a namecheck.
bilky asko, DE88 and Richard gave kudos
BU
buster London London
Although I enjoyed the 1995 music a lot, probably the first full year I was absolutely obsessed with the chart and pop music, the first presentation reminded of how frustrating that era of the show was. Looked amazing - great to see those titles on tv again - but awful presenters (baffling Paul McKenna gag by Jack Dee into N-Trance and Bjork clearly out of her comfort zone). And the way during the run through of each month they mentioned who was first guest presenting TOTP that month! As if anyone gives one!
BH
BillyH Founding member London London
I relate to the above about 1995, I was seven and have huge memories of the Michael Jackson, Mike Flowers Pops and Bjork songs from that Christmas - they must have all received a lot of airplay including on the likes of Live & Kicking and other kids shows I’d have watched at the time. For Wonderwall I didn’t even get the “original version” gag at the time, I just assumed some random bloke had covered the song because he thought he could do better than Oasis - and I did enjoy it a lot more than the original, which has become a bit of an overplayed token “90s rock” song in the same way as Mr Brightside by The Killers from a decade later.

I reviewed the 1999 special on another website a few years now, it’s unintentionally funny for a fair few reasons - we’re at peak Cowie era reading-from-a-script style presenting from the hosts, complete with some sneery sarcasm whenever there’s some Europop on as if it’s some inferior form of music to Blokes With Guitars. Cliff Richard has a bizarre extended spoken intro to his song as if he’s one of the presenters, there’s some odd editing at points as mentioned (including a bit in the middle where the hosts disappear completely for a while and we just jump cut straight from song to song) and a moment when it all goes completely mad at the end of The Offspring’s song and the rowdy audience invade the stage, only to be abruptly interrupted by Boyzone straight after with an 80s cover version. Full review here:

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196969
Member since 26 May 2001
DE
DE88 UTV Newsline
Although I enjoyed the 1995 music a lot, probably the first full year I was absolutely obsessed with the chart and pop music, the first presentation reminded of how frustrating that era of the show was. Looked amazing - great to see those titles on tv again - but awful presenters (baffling Paul McKenna gag by Jack Dee into N-Trance and Bjork clearly out of her comfort zone). And the way during the run through of each month they mentioned who was first guest presenting TOTP that month! As if anyone gives one!

As I said, the guest presenters were Ric Blaxill's idea - and he stuck with it even as the viewing figures went down.

One wonders how much of a factor it was in the show's move to Fridays in mid-'96...
"What is two plus two?" "Rather more than three." "Yes, but can you be more specific?" "The Belgians."
MU
mumu03
I relate to the above about 1995, I was seven and have huge memories of the Michael Jackson, Mike Flowers Pops and Bjork songs from that Christmas - they must have all received a lot of airplay including on the likes of Live & Kicking and other kids shows I’d have watched at the time. For Wonderwall I didn’t even get the “original version” gag at the time, I just assumed some random bloke had covered the song because he thought he could do better than Oasis - and I did enjoy it a lot more than the original, which has become a bit of an overplayed token “90s rock” song in the same way as Mr Brightside by The Killers from a decade later.

I reviewed the 1999 special on another website a few years now, it’s unintentionally funny for a fair few reasons - we’re at peak Cowie era reading-from-a-script style presenting from the hosts, complete with some sneery sarcasm whenever there’s some Europop on as if it’s some inferior form of music to Blokes With Guitars. Cliff Richard has a bizarre extended spoken intro to his song as if he’s one of the presenters, there’s some odd editing at points as mentioned (including a bit in the middle where the hosts disappear completely for a while and we just jump cut straight from song to song) and a moment when it all goes completely mad at the end of The Offspring’s song and the rowdy audience invade the stage, only to be abruptly interrupted by Boyzone straight after with an 80s cover version. Full review here:

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196969

I suspect if the Cuban Boys were indeed intended to be on at any point it would've been after Eiffel 65, from the sounds of how abruptly the link out of them into Robbie Williams was cut, although that then doesn't explain why they decided to go straight into the Steps and TLC performances as well.
TI
tightrope78 UTV Newsline
Interesting to note that at the time, earlier in 1995, it was assumed that the 'new' Beatles song 'Free As A Bird' was a foregone conclusion to be the Christmas number one.

ST
steveboswell Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
My only recollection of Mike Flowers Pops' version of Wonderwall is that there was a "live" performance of it on an episode of Blue Peter, back when they started to feature a few pop acts.

It only sticks in the mind because they made some joke about recycling to introduce it.
gordonthegopher, DE88 and BillyH gave kudos
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
This is a bit of an anomaly from Christmas 95 that I have absolutely no recollection of.

Unsure why as they’ve got the pick of the stars at the time and it’s not a bad song to boot.
Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006

Newer posts