The Newsroom

BBC News this Christmas - impact of cuts & Covid

No evening BBC 1 bulletins Xmas day & Boxing day (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cardiffian
As all the other UK BBC news threads seem to be closed, I'll post this here.

I've noticed there's no early evening BBC 1 news bulletins on Christmas day & Boxing day this year, only very late night round-ups at 23:25 on Xmas day and 22:45 on Boxing day.

Ok, the BBC might think people want a break from the news this year, but this does seem unusual. I'm guessing a specific BBC 1 newsreader won't be brought in on these days and the lunch and late night updates will just be dip-ins to the NC? Maybe it's cuts related as well.
Last edited by Cardiffian on 21 December 2020 5:40pm - 4 times in total
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s also notable that the Six and Ten and the regional news reduce down to short holiday bulletins one day early this year as well. The last full length ones are the 22nd
TI
TIGHazard

I've noticed there's no early evening BBC 1 news bulletins on Christmas day & Boxing day this year, only very late night round-ups at 23:25 on Xmas day and 22:45 on Boxing day.

Ok, the BBC might think people want a break from the news this year, but this does seem unusual. I'm guessing a specific BBC 1 newsreader won't be brought in on these days and the lunch and late night updates will just be dip-ins to the NC? Maybe it's cuts related as well.

There is a - very short - 2 minute early evening round up on Christmas Day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qq5z

Boxing Day I think it's just because of the football match and the film.
RN
Rolling News
It’s also notable that the Six and Ten and the regional news reduce down to short holiday bulletins one day early this year as well. The last full length ones are the 22nd

I'm sure the same happened last year.
EX
excel99

Last year there was no early evening Christmas Day news, but I'm sure a presenter was brought in just for the late BBC1 news. This year whilst there is no early evening Christmas Day bulletin, there is a 'BBC News Update' just before Strictly Come Dancing. I'm sure I've seen elsewhere it's scheduled for a minute! Potentially the first time there has been a standalone 'headiline update' on BBC1 since the 8pm summary stopped? Whilst I'd rather BBC1 did offer a full early evening bulletin, at least any developing stories (if there are any) can be broadcast to a BBC1 audience and the audience directed to the News Channel for more information

The one time last Christmas there was a 'dip in' to the News Channel for a main evening bulletin was the New Years Day late news, which was only scheduled for five minutes. (There had been a full length early evening bulletin with dedicated presenter). This time around there is a full length late as well as early evening bulletin so I can't see a NC 'dip in' here - and NYD will be a busier news day than normal with the end of the Brexit transition period

The combined late evening news slot between national and regional on the 23rd is 40 minutes, so whilst not the usual 45 minutes (and not at 10pm), longer than normal holiday provision. The One airs as normal on the 23rd as well, so it's just the Six that is notably shorter.

Perhaps the oddest news arrangement is Channel 4, which goes to 5 minute bulletins this weekend, back to normal on Monday for one day, then back to 5 minute bulletins from Tuesday until January
NE
News96
At least on Boxing Day there would have been an Early Evening Bulletin had Football not been scheduled.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Yes I recall that NYD bulletin this year, due to some odd scheduling wasn’t it in a very late slot and like you say lasted about 2 minutes.

Even though there was only a late on Christmas Day last year they still brought in Clive Myrie or someone to present it.

Even though the Six isn’t full length on the 23rd there is still a full length ITV Evening News on the other side
CA
Cardiffian
At least on Boxing Day there would have been an Early Evening Bulletin had Football not been scheduled.

Really? I don't think the lack of a BBC 1 evening news bulletin on Boxing day can be blamed on the football, it finishes at 5pm. You can't say that there's no room for 10-15 minutes of news after the football. I suspect cuts are at play this year - not having to pay a specific, higher profile BBC 1 newsreader triple pay to come in and do Xmas Day & Boxing Day evening BBC 1 bulletins makes financial sense to the BBC right now.
The very late BBC 1 bulletin on Xmas Day is 10 mins but on Boxing Day only 7/8 minutes. I could be proved wrong but why bring in a BBC 1 newsreader just for 8 - 10 minutes of news so late on Xmas Day & Boxing Day?
Last edited by Cardiffian on 18 December 2020 9:24pm - 3 times in total
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
It could probably be argued (in addition to the above) if you want to be depressed on Christmas Day, then watch the news channel (or a news channel). If you don't, then watch non-news programming. There are 364 other days of the year to be depressed from watching full-length bulletins on BBC One.
PE
peterh
One of the TV guides lists a news update between the 310 Christmas Day film and strictly and also an update at half time in the Boxing Day match
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Yes I recall that NYD bulletin this year, due to some odd scheduling wasn’t it in a very late slot and like you say lasted about 2 minutes.

Even though there was only a late on Christmas Day last year they still brought in Clive Myrie or someone to present it.

Even though the Six isn’t full length on the 23rd there is still a full length ITV Evening News on the other side

I vaguely remember a suggestion on here, that on NYD, Huw (having presented the EE bulletin) decided to go home when he found out how short the bulletin was, leaving Martine to do it. Like I say, I don't know how entirely true that is, but it makes me think if the bulletins are this short again they'll just simulcast with the News Channel
UN
Universal_r
I really don’t see the point in bringing in a separate presenter for bulletins this short. If the news channel presenter can do the weekend lunchtime bulletins why can they not do bulletins that are just a few minutes long.
JamesTV, Brekkie and Cardiffian gave kudos

Newer posts