TV Home Forum

Will Disney close all the UK linear kids channels?

Mirroring other international channels (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
With the announcement that Disney will be launching Star as a brand for general entertainment on Disney+ in the UK and other countries, I did wonder whether a rebrand of FOX to Star might be a possibility.

I don't think Viacom would be too pleased due to 5Star being an established channel but not sure they could prevent it.

It's also possible that Disney may simply close FOX at some point, as well as both National Geographic and Nat Geo WILD.

The Star channels on Sky predate 5Star by years so I don't really think they have a leg to stand on there.

I'm not sure that they'll necessarily rebrand Fox to Star though, I don't know if they'll have much content crossover.
TM
tmf9
While correct the ECTT doesn't include all EU countries, Ireland being one, as a result a number of Ofcom licensed TV/radio stations have been removed from the Sky EPG in Ireland this week.
JA
JAS84
With the announcement that Disney will be launching Star as a brand for general entertainment on Disney+ in the UK and other countries, I did wonder whether a rebrand of FOX to Star might be a possibility.

I don't think Viacom would be too pleased due to 5Star being an established channel but not sure they could prevent it.

It's also possible that Disney may simply close FOX at some point, as well as both National Geographic and Nat Geo WILD.

The Star channels on Sky predate 5Star by years so I don't really think they have a leg to stand on there.

I'm not sure that they'll necessarily rebrand Fox to Star though, I don't know if they'll have much content crossover.

Unless it's closing, it needs rebranding to something. They're phasing out the Fox brand because they don't own it, that's why the movie department is now 20th Century Studios.
RD
rdd Founding member
tmf9 posted:
While correct the ECTT doesn't include all EU countries, Ireland being one, as a result a number of Ofcom licensed TV/radio stations have been removed from the Sky EPG in Ireland this week.

Not many TV stations have been removed, thank goodness, just the Trace/Now music stations, RT and CGTV. The radio category however has been decimated, with only the Irish stations, BFBS, Punjab Radio, EWTN, and Khrashkarbi left.

34 days later

VI
Viakenny
Disney will start the international roll-out of the Star brand next month, not only as a hub on Disney+ (except in the US and Latin America), but also on the currently-Fox-branded linear channels, starting with the ones in Latin America (with the relaunch expected for February 22nd):

- Fox Channel becomes Star Channel
- Fox Life becomes Star Life

- The Fox Premium suite becomes Star Premium :
- Fox Premium Movies (in Spanish-speaking countries) and Fox Premium 1 (in Brazil) become Star Hits
- Fox Premium 2 (in Brazil) becomes Star Hits 2
- Fox Premium Series becomes Star Series
- Fox Premium Action becomes Star Action
- Fox Premium Comedy becomes Star Comedy
- Fox Premium Family becomes Star Fun
- Fox Premium Cinema (dedicated to Latin American and European cinema) becomes Star Cinema
- Fox Premium Classics becomes Star Classics

Fox / Star Channel relaunch promo:

(A version of the promo for Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwgLULTCxvM )

Fox / Star Life relaunch promo:

Fox / Star Premium relaunch promo:

The Star+ standalone streaming service (which will feature the Star library, Star Originals, and live sporting events from ESPN) won't be launched in Latin America until June, and the standalone subscription is expected to cost around $7.50 USD a month or on a bundle with Disney+, expected to cost $9 USD a month (the base price in US dollars for Disney+ in Latin America is around $6 USD).
Last edited by Viakenny on 19 January 2021 1:30am
TellyTime and paul_hadley gave kudos
SH
Sh1ruba
Disney will start the international roll-out of the Star brand next month, not only as a hub on Disney+ (except in the US and Latin America), but also on the currently-Fox-branded linear channels, starting with the ones in Latin America (with the relaunch expected for February 22nd):

- Fox Channel becomes Star Channel
- Fox Life becomes Star Life

- The Fox Premium suite becomes Star Premium :
- Fox Premium Movies (in Spanish-speaking countries) and Fox Premium 1 (in Brazil) become Star Hits
- Fox Premium 2 (in Brazil) becomes Star Hits 2
- Fox Premium Series becomes Star Series
- Fox Premium Action becomes Star Action
- Fox Premium Comedy becomes Star Comedy
- Fox Premium Family becomes Star Fun
- Fox Premium Cinema (dedicated to Latin American and European cinema) becomes Star Cinema
- Fox Premium Classics becomes Star Classics

Fox / Star Channel relaunch promo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMzX91sU1Q
(A version of the promo for Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwgLULTCxvM )

Fox / Star Life relaunch promo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV05yGVLZrY

Fox / Star Premium relaunch promo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZG0-4Y8FU

The Star+ standalone streaming service (which will feature the Star library, Star Originals, and live sporting events from ESPN) won't be launched in Latin America until June, and the standalone subscription is expected to cost around $7.50 USD a month or on a bundle with Disney+, expected to cost $9 USD a month (the base price in US dollars for Disney+ in Latin America is around $6 USD).

I really like the graphics, my guess is that Fox will become Star in the UK, or it'll close down like Disney Channel did.
AndrewPSSP, TellyTime and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
RD
rdd Founding member
It only seems to show about five programmes now anyway (NCIS, Family Guy, American Dad, Bones, and the Mentalist. And sometimes the Republic of Doyle).

Being discussed elsewhere, but Star India channels in Europe are being rebranded Utsav to avoid any (further) confusion.
TT
TellyTime
rdd posted:
It only seems to show about five programmes now anyway (NCIS, Family Guy, American Dad, Bones, and the Mentalist. And sometimes the Republic of Doyle).

FOX in the UK actually shows a much broader range of programmes than that... in just the last few months some of the UK premieres...

- Mr Inbetween
- Minority Report
- Bless This Mess
- Outmatched
- The Family
- Take Two
- L.A.'s Finest
- Perfect Harmony

Returning soon:

- The Walking Dead
- War of the Worlds

Coming soon:

- Damien
- Those Who Kill
RB
RedButton
In Latin America, Fox in the last few months only shows The Simpsons, movies and ocassionally The Walking Dead and Swat. A pretty mediocre programming lineup since Disney bought the channel (the same with channel presentation: the 2018-2019 global look is pretty poor in comparison with previous brandings) Hope to see some improvements with the name change.
VI
Viakenny
In Latin America, Fox in the last few months only shows The Simpsons, movies and ocassionally The Walking Dead and Swat. A pretty mediocre programming lineup since Disney bought the channel (the same with channel presentation: the 2018-2019 global look is pretty poor in comparison with previous brandings) Hope to see some improvements with the name change.

Actually, Fox Channel has been that way since before Disney, when 21st Century Fox relaunched premium suite Moviecity as Fox Premium and launched a version of the service for Brazil (with two channels instead of seven, carrying only series and the eventual sporting event - with coveage produced by Fox Sports and now by ESPN, such as LaLiga football, boxing and WWE PPV events - rights to movies are held mostly by Telecine, a JV between Globo, Disney, ViacomCBS, NBCUniversal and MGM). Many series (including some made for FTA television, such as This Is Us, instead of being broadcast by the Fox-branded basic channels or by FX, they run on the Fox Premium - soon to be Star Premium - channels.
LY
Lynetwork
Is there a chance the UK Fox channel could revert back to FX?
FB
FBC
Is there a chance the UK Fox channel could revert back to FX?

I don’t think they have any plans to get rid of the FX brand in the States (not yet, anyway) so it’s quite possible, actually!

Newer posts