TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnr
Rinder is taking his format to the States but on a different network
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
And of course the 'classic' was the Christmas edition of Songs Of Praise from Lichfield Catherdal being recorded the day after the Easter Day service was recorded.
It made sense whilst you have all the crew, cameras, lights and sound rigged up and the cables winding their path to the scanners in the car park around the back of the building.

The Daily Mail caught wind of this I seem to recall and tried to make it more of a "scandal" than it actually was (though it wasn't anything of the sort and productions had probably been doing that collective taping thing for years beforehand), although it may have just been a thinly veiled attempt at their regular BBC Bashing rituals.

The Mail would have had a fit in the 1950s when a billed "repeat" of a play was actually the same ensemble cast who had performed it live three days earlier...
Joe, Hatton Cross and DE88 gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

The Daily Mail caught wind of this I seem to recall and tried to make it more of a "scandal" than it actually was (though it wasn't anything of the sort and productions had probably been doing that collective taping thing for years beforehand), although it may have just been a thinly veiled attempt at their regular BBC Bashing rituals.

I remember seeing that story and thinking how unsurprising it was because it makes logistical and economic sense just to have both things done at the same time.
PA
paul_hadley
The sound quality on HIGNFY is pretty bad tonight. Only me?
AndrewPSSP, nigel and VMPhil gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Reminds of one early episode of 8 out of 10 cats, which had hideous sound quality and you could literally hear where every edit was.
VM
VMPhil
Shame as it’s a pretty good episode! Especially for this era without a proper audience.
PA
paul_hadley
It just sounded really muffled. I agree it was a decent episode though.

16 days later

JO
Jonwo
If anyone wants to know what socially distanced Pointless looks like, the Christmas special will be your first chance:
MarkT76, DE88 and UBox gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
I saw a thing advertising for contestants for the next series of Pointless which is recording in the new year. The pairs have to be from the same 'household bubble' so I expect the perspex screens are only for the celeb version
JO
Josh
Does anyone know why Max and Dianne are social distancing when they're in a Strictly bubble?
BR
Brekkie
Presumably filmed after they left, or if not the podiums were set up with screens anyway so little point in having one without it - would look rather odd.
JO
Jonwo
I saw a thing advertising for contestants for the next series of Pointless which is recording in the new year. The pairs have to be from the same 'household bubble' so I expect the perspex screens are only for the celeb version

I can confirm this is true as I had a phone audition for Pointless not too long ago and I wasn't able to proceed as the person I'd applied with isn't in a single household bubble. It does seem a bit unfair that the celebrities are allowed to be from separate households but I guess normal Pointless has a more rapid turnaround than Pointless Celebrities.

Newer posts