TV Home Forum

BBC uk channels on 13e and ITV

Part of new tv package Kabelio (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
ITV doesn't have a "network feed" as such in the same way that the BBC does. It has two playout centres producing all of the variations.

The slight exception is that there is an additional London feed on the EPG on Sky and Virgin which has audio description.
HA
harshy Founding member
Wasn’t there a sustaining feed it said KRS or something like that.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
KRS = Kings Reach Studios, aka LWT South Bank. All of the BT circuits had a code starting KRS. So you are probably referring to a slate identifying the circuit between programmes/contributions.
HA
harshy Founding member
Yeah it was on as a test channel on sky once showed the vt clock and showed gmb/daybreak filler when the regional news was on.
OV
Orry Verducci
ITV doesn't have a "network feed" as such in the same way that the BBC does. It has two playout centres producing all of the variations.

The slight exception is that there is an additional London feed on the EPG on Sky and Virgin which has audio description.

Actually they do. ITV Pres in Chiswick (Leeds if they're on DR) playout a network feed which has the clean programming, idents and promos. During breaks and regional programming (i.e. news) it airs a static ITV logo.

Both Chiswick for the southern regions and Leeds for the northern regions overlay all the regional content on top of this feed. This is also the feed that goes to STV.

Thank you for correcting me, I got confused, but ITV London is the one that today supplies the network feed isn't it? My apologies if I made a mistake again

Not really. As I explained above there is a network feed which doesn't carry the regional content, and then ITV London is played out alongside this, but ITV London isn't the network feed. It's treated the same as all the other regions. It just happens that the network feed comes from London, from the same playout suite as the ITV London region.
AndrewPSSP, harshy and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
That's true, I forgot about the feed for STV
AS
Asa Admin
So that’s a little different from the BBC clean version then which just has programmes and the BBC animated loop in-between.

Presumably this set up (with idents and promos scheduled) is the ‘master’ playlist which all the regional variations are linked off? So a change only needs to be made once, not to a dozen different playlists?

An interesting thread from a little while ago https://www.tvforum.co.uk/mediatech/itv-playout-structure-42709 including a link to it all going belly-up in 2008.
RD
Roger Darthwell

Actually they do. ITV Pres in Chiswick (Leeds if they're on DR) playout a network feed which has the clean programming, idents and promos. During breaks and regional programming (i.e. news) it airs a static ITV logo.

Both Chiswick for the southern regions and Leeds for the northern regions overlay all the regional content on top of this feed. This is also the feed that goes to STV.

Thank you for correcting me, I got confused, but ITV London is the one that today supplies the network feed isn't it? My apologies if I made a mistake again

Not really. As I explained above there is a network feed which doesn't carry the regional content, and then ITV London is played out alongside this, but ITV London isn't the network feed. It's treated the same as all the other regions. It just happens that the network feed comes from London, from the same playout suite as the ITV London region.

All right, thank you so much for correcting me!
HA
harshy Founding member

Didnt realise it was a static ITV slide, last time i saw it it was a VT clock a full 60 secs to the next trail.
HA
harshy Founding member
I forgot to say it’s not Free to Air it comes with a package of international channels from Germany, Italy and France and its roughly £125 and you have to be a Swiss resident.

Reading around the other forums suggest the picture quality is ropey as it’s fitting a lot of channels on one transponder.
RD
Roger Darthwell
I forgot to say it’s not Free to Air it comes with a package of international channels from Germany, Italy and France and its roughly £125 and you have to be a Swiss resident.

Reading around the other forums suggest the picture quality is ropey as it’s fitting a lot of channels on one transponder.

In fact the channel package is quite varied and interesting https://www.kabelio.ch/fr/senderangebote/

Newer posts