TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers?

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
Si-Co
And we've just seen Tyne Tees announcer Bill Steel in the 1997 episode, I wonder how many other ITV announcers appeared? A shame Redvers Kyle never made a cameo Razz

Another Tyne Tees announcer, Jane Jermyn, played a friend of Susan Barlow in 1986.
MA
Markymark
Si-Co posted:
And we've just seen Tyne Tees announcer Bill Steel in the 1997 episode, I wonder how many other ITV announcers appeared? A shame Redvers Kyle never made a cameo Razz

Another Tyne Tees announcer, Jane Jermyn, played a friend of Susan Barlow in 1986.

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it up thread, but Granada's CA Charles Foster made appearances

https://coronationstreet.fandom.com/wiki/Charles_Foster
MU
MrUdagawa
I thought last night's anniversary episode was very poor. These days I tend to just tune in for major episodes/anniversaries so I could be missing something, but it just feels like there's so much more they could have done, simple things to make it feel special for fans.
Roger Darthwell and Meridian AM gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Agreed. I know a lot of their ideas had to go out the window and things are particularly difficult to shoot at the moment but it just felt like a sub-standard normal episode.

There were brief mentions of the tram crash and 2000’s live episode was alluded to with Ken standing in front of the diggers. There didn’t seem much point in there being a power cut... and there wasn’t much suspense or trepidation when Geoff just slid down and off the roof. Even the fire fizzled out into nothing.

I felt they tried to put all their eggs in one basket and failed miserably. Much like how the soap is nowadays with it being stretched to the seams at 6 a week. Would have been much more effective if they kept it simple and just have Ken and Rita reminisce over old memories.
DA
davidhorman
RDJ posted:
Even the fire fizzled out into nothing.

Sometimes fires go out.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I agree that last night's episode could be summed up with the phrase "well, it was no 'tram crash'", though I concede that they weren't operating under the same conditions as they were in 2010 and thus it's a potentially unfair comparison to draw.

I do think that they could have done something a bit more exciting with Geoff though. After months and months of the story ramping up, and after almost a year since the 'stabbing' incident in the kitchen, I do feel that him sliding slowly off a roof is a rather disagreeably anticlimactic way to round it all off.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 10 December 2020 11:22am
JamesTV, DE88 and Meridian AM gave kudos
JA
james-2001
I do think that they could have done something a bit more exciting with Geoff though. After months and months of the story ramping up, and after almost a year since the 'stabbing' incident in the kitchen, I do feel that him sliding slowly off a roof is a rather disagreeably anticlimactic way to round it all off.

If it turns out he actually is dead... Tina got up after being pushed off a balcony after all.
DA
davidhorman

If it turns out he actually is dead... Tina got up after being pushed off a balcony after all.

And Phelan fell off a lighthouse.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Tina got up after being pushed off a balcony after all.

Both very good points.
It would almost be more shocking if Geoff didn't 'rise from the dead'.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 10 December 2020 11:51am
DJ
DJGM

Tina got up after being pushed off a balcony after all.

Both very good points.
It would almost be more shocking if Geoff didn't 'rise from the dead'.

And of course John Stape miraculously survived falling from the roof of a hospital!
AS
Asa Admin
Shame about the IPP during the dramatic final scene last night, guess that’s the price you pay for being on a commercial channel.

It would have been good to have left the credits alone too but if it was timed for the announcer to stop speaking just before the new bit, that was a nice touch.
CO
Colm
On the other hand, looking at TVARK, UTV seems that they didn't have "Colour" in their endboards. Huh.

They did, until around 1981.

Examples can be found on the UTV online archive:

https://digitalfilmarchive.net/collection/utv-64

Newer posts