The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mrarg1393
ITN have taken the path down the VR route and don't seem to be going anywhere from it. Since 2004, they have embraced the green screen world, and I wonder if there was another revamp or tweak, what would forum users on here like to see adopted by ITV News in 2021?

Should there be different VR backdrops for each bulletin?
Should there be a brand new music sequence, and abandon the News at Ten theme which has been reworked more times than a Doctor Who story plot?
Should there be a more dedicated look for News at Ten again, as was the case for 2008 - 2009?

Let me know. Thanks.

I think they should definitely update the titles and music - they will never completely change the theme as it’s almost as iconic as the BBC News theme, but a refreshed theme would keep it up there. A new set design too would be good. As they use VR they could pretty much change the whole look and feel with just changing some bits on the computer! Maybe adopt the Election type studio set up? I did notice an ITV News report about a month ago that Julie Etchingham was interviewing Joan Armatrading if I remember correctly and they used the Election VR set which looked really fresh - so they could easily adopt this for the main bulletins.

Finally, they could re-work News at Ten too with new titles and a new set. I agree with the other comments on here that the set and visuals still look good 7 years later, however; it doesn’t hurt to have a refresh now and again! Maybe they will seen as ITN is celebrating 60 years this year so might have a revamp for the new year to make a new era?

Guess we will wait and see! ITV introduced the new look in the 2nd week of Jan in 2013 so could do something similar for next year.

*65th Anniversary

I was getting confused with Corrie! Razz
JK
JKDerry
News at Ten should have its own distinct look and feel I believe.

For me, the 2008 relaunch set and design was fantastic for News at Ten.

I hate the nonsense of the "London centric" argument. Big Ben is in London and London has always been the views of News at Ten from 1967 to 1999 and it should have remained so. Remember the different aerial shots of London used by News at Ten over the years, felt perfect for the bulletin, along with an iconic theme tune.

We need a more distinct look back for News at Ten, and hopefully ITV schedulers will stop moving the bulletin. Have you noticed they have gone back to their old ways of the "News at When" era, especially on Fridays and of course during the three weeks of I'm A Celebrity.
BR
Brekkie
It always happens towards the end of the year but I would rather it didn't and I'm a Celeb airing 8.30-10pm would make more sense, especially this year when they didn't have the early starts to worry about. That said though ITV News gets some of it's strongest ratings off the back of I'm a Celeb and probably rates better at 10.30pm with IAC viewers having missed the chance to watch the BBC News at Ten.

I think it depends on the look - the 2008 return needed a strong identity as ITV News in the teal era wasn't great, and in reality as other bulletins then took on the News at Ten look it didn't last long. I think the ITV News brand is more important than the News at Ten brand nowadays and ensuring one is linked to the other is important - as I said before same, but different, achieves that. Even before the revamp shortly after Tom joined the titles used for News at Ten (and still used at weekends) had a distintly different feel to those of the daytime bulletins.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It always happens towards the end of the year but I would rather it didn't and I'm a Celeb airing 8.30-10pm would make more sense, especially this year when they didn't have the early starts to worry about. That said though ITV News gets some of it's strongest ratings off the back of I'm a Celeb and probably rates better at 10.30pm with IAC viewers having missed the chance to watch the BBC News at Ten.

I think it depends on the look - the 2008 return needed a strong identity as ITV News in the teal era wasn't great, and in reality as other bulletins then took on the News at Ten look it didn't last long. I think the ITV News brand is more important than the News at Ten brand nowadays and ensuring one is linked to the other is important - as I said before same, but different, achieves that. Even before the revamp shortly after Tom joined the titles used for News at Ten (and still used at weekends) had a distintly different feel to those of the daytime bulletins.

Of course some ITV News at Ten editions recently have rated better than they usually would, due to I’m a Celeb overlapping with the BBC News at Ten forcing viewers to watch the ITV version
RD
RDJ
Some humour on tonight’s And Finally on News at Ten. Reporting on a monolith appearing at the Isle of Wight. Cue Tom to say where will one appear next... and a virtual monolith to appear in the studio on the closing shot.
BA
Ballyboy
Thought it was genius
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Yes. That was brilliant.

Saw someone pointing out on twitter how similar the UK ones look to the channel 4 blocks.

🤔

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rocxysb6MnFHaqTR6)
WA
watchingtv
RDJ posted:
Some humour on tonight’s And Finally on News at Ten. Reporting on a monolith appearing at the Isle of Wight. Cue Tom to say where will one appear next... and a virtual monolith to appear in the studio on the closing shot.

BA
Ballyboy
Lunchtime news titles failed to play out
Last edited by Ballyboy on 10 December 2020 3:14pm
LWTfan1968 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
UN
Universal_r
What happened instead? Did they just go straight from the headlines to the bulletin?
LW
LWTfan1968
Lunchtime news titles failed to play out

I remember that happening to the BBC News at 1 a couple of months back, did it cut straight to the presenter or show a test card/still?
BA
Ballyboy
There was a story. it froze. then it cut to Nina

Newer posts