TV Home Forum

Nick Hewer quits Countdown

Anne Robinson announced as replacement - page 11 (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
My money's on flavour of the month Alison Hammond. Rolling Eyes

Or just incorporate Countdown into Packed Lunch and give it to Steph to do. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

We get it, you don't like Alison Hammond.
Jon posted:

I’m not sure it works like that!

Was meant as a tongue in cheek comment.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Countdown needs to move with the times and enter the 21st century, so I suggest that both Nick and Rachel are replaced with paper boards featuring QR codes that viewers can scan and replace with hosts of their choice, from regular TV faces to reanimated famous historical figures.

Or just Rylan Clark-Neil.
MA
Meridian AM
I think Eamonn Holmes would be good on it, if they are looking for an older white male like they have done since Richard Whitely passed away. And he may have more time on his hands through doing less This Morning next year.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 7 December 2020 1:58pm - 2 times in total
DeeMartie, uktvwatcher and Brekkie gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
Not to sound too blunt, but good riddance. It probably isn't helped by the energy generated by the Cats team in comparison, but with Nick at the helm I've found Countdown to be as entertaining as a blob of chewing gum on the back of a bus seat.
MA
Markymark
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Start Professor Jonathan Van-Tam off in Dictionary Corner, and get him groomed for the main job.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Eamonn's a good choice, although it could be a vehicle for Steph McGovern when Packed Lunch is eventually axed.
Ittr and Meridian AM gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Start Professor Jonathan Van-Tam off in Dictionary Corner, and get him groomed for the main job.

I can't see JVT on Countdown....

He's more likely for Strictly 2021!
SS
SuperSajuuk
Its a shame to see Nick go, but I think it is for the best to get a changing of the guard in the current times. With these kind of unexpected announcements, I usually take the view that the host (in this case, Nick) probably had so much time off from the show that its made him realise that he should quit as host and let someone else take over, so he can have some time to himself. (As he referred to in his twitter post, which i've just seen)

It's the same with all hosting really: when a host is presenting for so long and then they have unexpected time off, they take stock of their life and realise they should enjoy the free time. I wish Nick well for all he does in the future Smile

For me, I don't mind who hosts the programme, an experience person would likely be preferred to lead a programme like Countdown.
Last edited by SuperSajuuk on 7 December 2020 2:35pm
JA
JAS84

JO
Jonwo
I assume whoever takes over won't appear on screen until July at the earliest.
SO
Soupnzi
Is there any particular reason why it keeps getting recommissioned by the way. Its ratings are hardly electrifying these days...and the timeslot C4 gives it speaks for itself.

I think Eamonn would be a likely contender as he’s so well-known and now available. When Richard Whiteley died I always thought Nick Owen (ex-TV-am) would have been perfect.

Also TVF’s #1 favourite, Alistair Stewart. Though I always thought he should have hosted 15-to-1.
MarkT76 and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Is there any particular reason why it keeps getting recommissioned by the way. Its ratings are hardly electrifying these days...and the timeslot C4 gives it speaks for itself.

I think Eamonn would be a likely contender as he’s so well-known and now available. When Richard Whiteley died I always thought Nick Owen (ex-TV-am) would have been perfect.

Also TVF’s #1 favourite, Alistair Stewart. Though I always thought he should have hosted 15-to-1.

I assume it's just because it's a Channel 4 institution, I don't think any Channel controller would dare to axe it.
TVArchive and MarkT76 gave kudos

Newer posts