TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2020

JL
JamesLaverty1925 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I didn't realise the Strictly Christmas Day Top 25 show was the Top 25 dances from the regular series. I assumed they were from the Christmas Day shows, which IMO would have been better considering they've done a (badly edited) best of series this year and the Christmas show dances would obviously be on theme for the day, but also I think feel more like new content as they are naturally a bit more forgettable than those from the main series.

Is it really!? Why on earth put it on Christmas Day then? If they absolutely had to it should've been at 1.15pm with Early Man later in the day, but even then, it screams late afternoon on one of the days between Christmas and New Year.

It's slightly different. They've supposedly promised the dances will be shown in full (reckon they'll still talk over them mind), and there is a new dance by the pros which I'm guessing they are using to justify it being on late afternoon
JO
Johnr
Looks like The Vicar of Dibley is about to have another Make Poverty History 'controversy' by the new special including a piece on...Black Lives Matter
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
Just the comedy gold we need after the year we've had...
IT
IndigoTucker
After all, Dibley is well known for its ethnic diversity.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
The Bowie intro for The Snowman today - think that's been favoured since he died.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
The Bowie intro for The Snowman today - think that's been favoured since he died.

Might have more to do with when Mel Smith died.

Smith did the opening for the 2002/20th anniversary/cropped version (in character as Father Christmas), and Channel 4 used this until he died in 2013. They then went back to the Bowie version and have been using it ever since.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Why would Mel Smith's death have stopped them using his intro, though?

Using that same logic, why are they still using the Bowie intro nearly 5 years after he died?
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
And they'd just shown the much underrated Father Christmas beforehand.

A couple of years now till the 40th anniversary - would be nice to see it get the full feature film treatment to mark the occassion.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today

Using that same logic, why are they still using the Bowie intro nearly 5 years after he died?

Especially since it's the worst of all the intros…
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

I have no idea, it's clearly a decision somebody at Channel 4 made at the time, and it's stuck.

Anyway the Bowie introduction was on TV for many years and is probably the best known of the three there are (not withstanding of course the fact it was originally added for the US, and ultimately replaced the Raymond Briggs opening over here).
UK
UKnews
Into aside* - at least they’ve gone back to showing a 4:3 version. Just a shame it’s a choice between them showing a remastered cropped version or older print that hasn’t been cropped. If the Father Christmas one is only on the cropped version perhaps that’s why it hasn’t been used?

*For me it should be the Raymond Briggs one, don’t mind the David Bowie one. Don’t like the Father Christmas one, perhaps because I associate it with the cropped version.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Agreed, the Raymond Briggs intro is the best. Sets the atmosphere perfectly.

Newer posts