TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2020

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
It has become very expensive now to own the Christmas Radio Times, the price always seems to rise, year on year. Never a price cut at all.

They're a commercial operation and they charge what they think people will pay for it. Be different if you had to buy it, like you did in the past, but not now. People buy the Radio Times because they want to buy the Radio Times.

I don't find it particularly prohibitive either. The Sunday papers cost about three quid and Doctor Who Magazine is about six quid, so a fiver for the Christmas issue sounds perfectly reasonable. I get more use out of it than most magazines.
DE
DE88
One *does* have to respect the view that the cost is prohibitive, though, even if they disagree.

Yes, I'm going to quote Applemask once more - specifically, what he said in last year's Christmas Wrapping about the price reaching £5: "I would argue it's still worth it, but only just."

No obligation to agree with him.
VM
VMPhil
Christmas is all about tradition.

And that tradition is trying to pull out the travel section of the Christmas Radio Times without ruining the stapling. Made even harder by it now being perfect bound.
BR
Brekkie
DE88 posted:
One *does* have to respect the view that the cost is prohibitive, though, even if they disagree.

Yes, I'm going to quote Applemask once more - specifically, what he said in last year's Christmas Wrapping about the price reaching £5: "I would argue it's still worth it, but only just."

I'm sure Applemask can post here themself it they want to share their views with us.

The Radio Times is expensive but there are other options there. It's all about the features with the Radio Times - the listing pages themselves aren't that good compared to other mags really.
BR
Brekkie
Cinderella: A Comic Relief Pantomime For Christmas has been announced for BBC2 for Christmas Eve at 8 15pm.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2020/cinderella
GL
Gluben
DE88 posted:

I'm sure Applemask can post here themself it they want to share their views with us.

The Radio Times is expensive but there are other options there. It's all about the features with the Radio Times - the listing pages themselves aren't that good compared to other mags really.

Applemask used to be a member here years ago but I think he was banned. I do agree with him though and find his videos very entertaining.
DE88, Cold Open and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
CA
Cando
DE88 posted:

No obligation to buy it
IS
Inspector Sands
Last year was the first year I didn't buy a Radio Times* as we ended up buying it, flicking through on the day we got it and either highlighting programmes or programming them into the PVR. Then leaving it on the side before throwing it out in mid January.

I managed to find a digital copy of it so got to do that for free (though it took me weeks to get the highlighter pen off my laptop screen Very Happy )

*pronounced rad-ee-ot-oh-meees
GE
thegeek Founding member

*pronounced rad-ee-ot-oh-meees

Like this?
LN
LondonNewsBites
Josh posted:
BBC One's schedule for 2021 has been leaked:

Needs more ''Kung Fu Panda''...
JK
JKDerry
What would be a perfect prime time BBC One and ITV schedule for Christmas Day? We all moan and complain, but what would you schedule for the big day for BBC One and ITV. I would love to know what people on the forum would schedule from say after the Queen's speech to around midnight.

Thank You.
JA
JAS84
You're asking for fantasy scheduling, I thought we discouraged that?

Masked Singer starts on Boxing Day. Looks like a normal Saturday night schedule for ITV that day then.

Newer posts