Mass Media & Technology

BBC iPlayer subtitles

It's all gone too big (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I'm watching iPlayer at the moment and the subtitles have got massive and they now have a black background.

I'm watching it via the app on a Hisense TV.

I've looked around to see if they can be changed but no joy so far.

Can anyone help me plase5?

TIA.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Should normally be a cog you can go into to change the subtitles and style.
TE
Technologist
Red Bee / BBC annOunced that iPlayer new items are having DVB-ST style subtitles ..Tiresias and a black back ground as from tonight
At the RTS Thames valley event ...https://rts.org.uk/event/celebration-television-subtitles
In a day it so the recording will be available ...
It was interesting in what has happened in the past 20 years or so and it showed respeaking and auto live subtitles etc ..

The reason for the change is that they are more readable which is what the viewer wants .but they can have their size changed to make it work for you in what ever size screen you are using ...
DA
davidhorman
but they can have their size changed

Not on a Humax Freesat box, it seems.
VM
VMPhil
Some programmes don’t seem to like this new format. Try watching Full Circle with Michael Palin, the top of the subtitles are chopped off.
ME
megabreakfast
This has happened to me too, on an Amazon Fire TV stick and the Xbox One iplayer app. Anyone know why and how to revert as it's ridiculous? Thank you!
TE
Technologist
Complain and ask that Nigel Meggitt replies ..... that will direct the comments in the right direction ....
but at first glance I cannot see why it has occurred .

The reason for the change publically stated is as a result of viewer comments that the existing ones were not clear and to match the look of the emitted subtitles ( which have much praise )
Not stated is the BBC will be in a vey good place when regulation comes in for all internet delivered media ...particularly that emitted with subtitles.
But there is not the industry wide / medium tech interest in subtitles or the adoption of something like IMSC3 to deliver them .
VM
VMPhil
I think it's a good thing that they've made them look as closely as possible like broadcast subtitles. The solid background really helps. But they're now just a tad too big - and as I said above, some programmes don't seem to work properly.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I think it's a good thing that they've made them look as closely as possible like broadcast subtitles. The solid background really helps. But they're now just a tad too big - and as I said above, some programmes don't seem to work properly.

I agree it's a good thing VMPhil especially for those with sight and hearing issues.

It would be nice though if, as with Netflix and Prime subtitles, you could change their appearance.
JO
Josey
I've been searching for an answer to this problem,too. It's being going on for a while on ipad and I've been in contact with BBC iPlayer help for ages and still nothing gets done. Now these huge,bright subtitles have spread to the App on Firestick. All the BBC will say is watch via the website, which is impossible via Firestick.
VM
VMPhil
I know they're not used as much now, but interesting to note that this change means background colours on subtitles (such as sound effects or narration) are now visible. Just spotted an example whilst watching an episode of The Black Adder (watching the first series for the first time!)
VM
VMPhil
There’s a page on the help site now about this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/issues/tv/subtitles-large-size

Newer posts