TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
Si-Co
That poster was just having a dig at me because I said the same to someone who posted that the meerkat sponsorship had ended in the Corrie thread.

Yes I realised that
JA
james-2001
I notice the inside of the shop's changed slightly too, presumably so it more closely matches the outside of the new set. Where there used to be fridges, you can now see a window display.

Another brief shot from the new set on today's second episode (there weren't any on the first episode). A tight shot of the outside of the shop, now without the phone box or the steps down to the cellas, and another tight shot of the reverse angle, showing the village green which didn't exist in Esholt. Not been any wide shots yet, clearly being very slowly phased in.

Another quick look at yesterday's episodes and there was a shot of Roy walking away, in the direction which was a dead end in Esholt, down a road which didn't exist there and you can see the Wine bar/tea rooms, in a completely different place to where they are in Esholt.

I know this is all very anal, but that's what TV Forum is for Razz I imagine I'd have been doing the same if ITV3 had shown Corrie from 1982 when they moved outdoor sets. Or they'd shown Emmerdale Farm from 1975/76 and we'd seen the changeover from Arncliffe to Esholt.
Si-Co, Ben Shatliff and DE88 gave kudos
RO
robrymond
I can't remember the changeover on screen back in 1998 but I was young and I guess the fact there was little shots of the new village at first means it was very gradual. The second episode last Thursday featured the last shots of the old post office and the bus stop area and road down to Esholt and another shot of Mandy walking down the road at the side of the houses.

My first memory of the wider shots were when the credits changed but clearly my memory is bad.
SC
Si-Co
One thing I have noticed in recent episodes that doesn’t sit well with me is the buses seen in the village. Some have Bradford livery and the destination on the blinds on at least one occasion was “City Centre”. Emmerdale is supposedly located in the Dales some 40 miles from the Leeds-Bradford conurbation so I can’t think of any nearby cities - and surely a bus service operating to Leeds or Bradford from this distance would actually have “Leeds” or “Bradford” on its destination blinds! “City Centre” suggests a suburban service operating within a few miles of the city, somewhere like er... Esholt?
JA
james-2001
Could be worse, could be the 2010s where every bus has a McCains advert on the side.
JA
JAS84
At least that's plausible (unlike a City Centre destination on the front), as it may well always be the same bus - buses to villages don't run too often.

Anyway, it was probably product placement - McCain was the sponsor. Do the buses now have People's Postcode Lottery adverts on them?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Back in the old days of manual destination blinds I bet ‘City Centre’ was the best destination available on a n actual Bradford minibus.

Of course these days with digital displays they can display Hotten or anything they want.
JA
james-2001
I think the show moved studios around the same time as they moved to the new outdoor set as well, from Farsley Mills to the new studios around the corner from the main YTV studios (where the Emmerdale experience is now).
BR
Brekkie
Is it just the two locations the village has had?
JA
james-2001
Three, it was in Arncliffe from 1972-76.
JA
james-2001
No village location scenes at all in today's episodes, only one in yesterday's episode (though that one did include a wide shot, showing the new village green and moved phone box), clearly they phased it in very slowly. Does stand out considering most episodes prior to early 1998 had several scenes set in the village.
JA
james-2001
On today's second episode there's a piece of music playing in Pollard's Wine Bar that appears on this ITV Nightscreen video from around the same time (at around 15 minutes in)

Obviously Pollard's bought the rights to some production/Library music....

Newer posts