TV Home Forum

BBC iPlayer

Promo Refresh (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Think the iPlayer is one of the few on demand services not to rebrand.
JA
JAS84
Yeah. ITV Hub was originally ITV Player, All4 was 4OD, and My5 was Demand 5.
MD
mdtauk
Most people verbally call it iPlayer right, without the BBC. 3 syllables.
TR
trivialmatters
The all-important bit that mentions whose catch-up platform it is (i.e. the BBC's) being rendered as easily expendable in this way, is the opposite of what any brand sets out to achieve.

Renaming Kindle “Amazon Reads” wouldn’t improve the product image or the Amazon brand, just as renaming “iPlayer” as “BBC Play” wouldn’t really help either.

Just like iTunes is a way better brand than Apple Music and literally anything else would have been better than Apple TV+.

Of course knowing the BBC, expect the rebrand to BBC Me in a few weeks.
AS
Asa Admin
You joke but pre-launch names floating around included BBC iMP (Interactive Media Player) and MyBBCPlayer. Dodged a bullet there.

As said on the last page, a recognised standalone sub-brand is worth its weight in gold. I can’t see BBC Sounds ever reaching the same level of familiarity or admiration. Guess it keeps the marketing people happy by forcing you to say the “BBC” part though.

Not much to say about the pink BBC logo, apart from it’s an awful and unnecessary change.
JF
JetixFann450
There are some cases where a coloured BBC logo works better instead of pure white, such as Exhibit A where the whole area is just snow.
TI
TIGHazard
I guess this is a good place to place this...

More iPlayer acquisitions. Pretty Little Liars, Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2020/pretty-little-liars-fresh-prince
LW
LWTfan1968

In West Philidelphia, born and raised. On a playground was where I spent most of my days!
RD
RDJ
Interesting for the Beeb to pick Fresh Prince up considering they haven't aired it in over 16 years and it's been on a plethora of digital channels (and maybe a brief spell on Channel 5?) ever since.
DE88, watchingtv and LWTfan1968 gave kudos
SH
Sh1ruba

Got a secret, can you keep it?
Swear this one you'll save
Better lock it in your pocket
Taking this one to the grave
If I show you, then I know you won't tell what I said
Cos two can keep a secret if one of them is dead
PF
PFML84
Sky Comedy announced yesterday as well that they have picked up The Fresh Prince. It's also on Comedy Central Extra and may still get the odd airing on 5 STAR.
JO
Jonwo
RDJ posted:
Interesting for the Beeb to pick Fresh Prince up considering they haven't aired it in over 16 years and it's been on a plethora of digital channels (and maybe a brief spell on Channel 5?) ever since.

I suspect it's to bulk up iPlayer's content.

Newer posts