The Newsroom

New backdrops for BBC News

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
The faux newsroom backdrop used for the news bulletins during The Andrew Marr Show *still* has the frosted rings/globes/swooshes as of this morning, despite them having ceased to be part of the national news' studio look ever since the move from TVC to NBH.

The prolonged lingering of the swooshes of course also endures in several English Regions which have printed newsroom backdrops rather than screens.

But the CGI backdrop for the Marr bulletins is clearly either chromakey or a screen, so the mind boggles as to why it wasn't de-swooshed ages ago.

Look North in Leeds persisted with the swooshes when they upgraded to screens rather than the previous printed backdrop.

Look East Norwich, whilst in dire need of a new set, removed the whooshes a few years ago when they ever so slightly tweaked the background. However the Cambridge backdrop still has them.
ST
South Today
The faux newsroom backdrop used for the news bulletins during The Andrew Marr Show *still* has the frosted rings/globes/swooshes as of this morning, despite them having ceased to be part of the national news' studio look ever since the move from TVC to NBH.

The prolonged lingering of the swooshes of course also endures in several English Regions which have printed newsroom backdrops rather than screens.

But the CGI backdrop for the Marr bulletins is clearly either chromakey or a screen, so the mind boggles as to why it wasn't de-swooshed ages ago.

Look North in Leeds persisted with the swooshes when they upgraded to screens rather than the previous printed backdrop.

Look East Norwich, whilst in dire need of a new set, removed the whooshes a few years ago when they ever so slightly tweaked the background. However the Cambridge backdrop still has them.

I wonder they will tweak/remodel the set when they finally announce Look East is going single headed.
MI
m_in_m

I wonder they will tweak/remodel the set when they finally announce Look East is going single headed.

Is there a need to change the Norwich set? Assuming that at some point in the future guests return to the studio then the sofa will be useful.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Spending money on a new set while announcing that somebody is now out of work to save money isn't a good look
DT
DTV
The thing I've never understood about the Studio C newsroom backdrop is why on earth is it shot from the mezannine level? Surely the point of putting in a newsroom backdrop is to disguise the fact they've moved from Studio E to Studio C, so why not shoot the looped footage from Studio E's POV?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Because if it was the same background it would make any cuts between the two look awkward? Granted it happens very rarely but it could.
HO
House
Maybe it’s trying to suggest it’s a different studio located on the balcony? I always got the impression it was more to do with not wanting a London-centric background, as studio C usually uses?
Steve in Pudsey, m_in_m and chris gave kudos
CH
chris
House posted:
Maybe it’s trying to suggest it’s a different studio located on the balcony? I always got the impression it was more to do with not wanting a London-centric background, as studio C usually uses?

I also suspect it’s easier to loop - you’re less likely to spot the same person going to lunch.

Would I also be right to say the height gives it better perspective?
HA
harshy Founding member
Never understood why World uses a London centric background when for 25 years before it all came from live newsroom backgrounds.
NJ
news junkie
Never understood why World uses a London centric background when for 25 years before it all came from live newsroom backgrounds.

I seem to remember before the move to NBH happened, someone posted on here a survey to World viewers asking them what sort of backdrop they preferred: newsroom, london or generic graphic loop. If my memory serves, it was a render of studio C. So I guess it's London because they're giving the people what they want?
UN
Universal_r
I don’t think the newsroom backdrop in studio C would be so bad if it didn’t have the weird effect on it.
IN
Independent
Studio C could have a fake newsroom like the old BBC News Channel or a fake mash up of skylines like Impact to avoid a London-centric view.

Newer posts