TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DW
DavidWhitfield
Is it just me or have they really increased the prominence of the ITV News branding in the back of shot in recent months?

Bear in mind, Brekkie, in 'normal times', the backdrop behind Piers and Susanna is the view of London, and the screens are only really seen behind the newsreader. However, over the past few weeks, they've changed the shots meaning that the blue screeny backdrop (with the ITV News branding) is now visible throughout the programme behind the main presenting duo, so this will likely be why you feel as though you've seen more of it than normal.
Meridian AM, BBI45 and TVViewer256 gave kudos
AR
Archie
The splitscreen blur effect has returned...

TV
TVViewer256
The splitscreen blur effect has returned...

Yes - I noticed that yesterday. Probably to make the two trees merge into one more seamlessly.
MU
MrUdagawa
I know it's been said on here before, but I really don't get why they do this. It feels a bit dated, if not slightly irresponsible thing to do. One of the most important points about presenters social distancing (aside from keeping themselves and others safe) is to lead by an example, to show the audience they're distancing and make it look and feel the norm in these times (e.g. Strictly's constant 'take a look at how we're putting this series together'). A wide two shot of them throughout the whole show would have far more impact.
DW
DavidWhitfield
We've watched presenters sitting nowhere near each other since March.
If viewers haven't yet understood that they need to social distance after nine months, they've got bigger problems than where Piers Morgan is sitting.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I know it's been said on here before, but I really don't get why they do this. It feels a bit dated, if not slightly irresponsible thing to do. One of the most important points about presenters social distancing (aside from keeping themselves and others safe) is to lead by an example, to show the audience they're distancing and make it look and feel the norm in these times (e.g. Strictly's constant 'take a look at how we're putting this series together'). A wide two shot of them throughout the whole show would have far more impact.

Realistically if you haven't mastered social distancing after all this time, you're never going to do it, regardless of whether Piers Morgan sits 2m away or two counties away.
MU
MrUdagawa

Realistically if you haven't mastered social distancing after all this time, you're never going to do it, regardless of whether Piers Morgan sits 2m away or two counties away.

True, but they were doing the split screen thing a long time ago. A subjective thing I guess, I just think open and honest visuals in TV is more current than the way they're doing it. Transparency is best in my opinion (harks back to the BBC editing scandal re. the Queen and Annie Liebovitz)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

True, but they were doing the split screen thing a long time ago. A subjective thing I guess, I just think open and honest visuals in TV is more current than the way they're doing it. Transparency is best in my opinion (harks back to the BBC editing scandal re. the Queen and Annie Liebovitz)

That is an entirely different thing re: the Queen "walking out" of a photo shoot in 2007. That was a result of sticking two clips together in the wrong order and the actual "walking out" was in fact the arrival of the Queen at said event. While it had repercussions at the time, it's not on the same scale that "Piers Morgan looks like he's sitting next to somebody else" would "cause", which is nothing because he isn't.

Anyway all of television is a lie to an extent. "OMG, I just watched an episode of Casualty and it turns out Joe who had a piece of wood sticking out his chest doesn't actually exist. I feel cheated." Yeah, right.
AL
alexjac0788

IMO it's nice to have a bit escapism from the cold, (anti)social distancing.
SP
Spencer
I’m sure even those watching on +1 complaining the clock’s wrong realise that it’s a split-screen image, and they aren’t actually sitting next to each other. Or do they really think that Piers Morgan has a strange affliction causing his arm to partially disappear every time he moves to his left?
UT
Upload TV
Looks like they were filming the Christmas Special today, basically confirming that it will be pre-recorded.

JO
Jonwo
Was anyone remotely surprised that it's pre recorded, I am surprised they've doing in early December rather than say the week before Christmas.

Newer posts