TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
Ben Shatliff
Fairly big change in the sense that it barely looks like Esholt and half of the village had either vanished or moved!

I remember watching part of a special video where Chris Chittell (Eric Pollard) was showing someone around the set. It was commented that the new set didn’t really look like Esholt. Chris agreed and said the idea was that there would be a pub and the post office opposite.

It is a shame it wasn’t done a little more accurately.
SC
Si-Co
Fairly big change in the sense that it barely looks like Esholt and half of the village had either vanished or moved!

I remember watching part of a special video where Chris Chittell (Eric Pollard) was showing someone around the set. It was commented that the new set didn’t really look like Esholt. Chris agreed and said the idea was that there would be a pub and the post office opposite.

It is a shame it wasn’t done a little more accurately.

I suppose having a custom-built village gave the producers the chance to design it in a way that optimised filming and storytelling. For example, some buildings didn’t face forward into the street so they straightened them up. The phone box being moved was an obvious change, and the long shot of the junction into the village on the later opening titles shows that Chapel Lane has all but vanished, replaced by a village green of sorts. I agree that as a viewer it’s jarring, but everything must have been done this way for a reason.
Ben Shatliff and DE88 gave kudos
RO
robrymond
I feel there was a complete change once the village moved and I'm not sure I want to continue watching much past 1998. People like Bernice arriving is the onset of the rot of characters some of which still linger today like Nicola.
SC
Si-Co
To me, the atmosphere of the show changed when the Dingles were introduced. The Ben Dingle and Luke/Tina storylines were OK, and I do have a soft spot for Sam, but all the time spent showing the family getting involved in things like petty thefts and building rockets, and having convoluted sitcom-ish conversation at home I find tedious, especially in this rewatch. I did think the Butch and Sophie storyline was well written though.
PA
Parker
Not been the same since Amos & Mr Wilks left the Woolpack Very Happy
Night Thoughts and DE88 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Did the Dingles arrive before the Battersbys in Weatherfield?
MA
Meridian AM
Yes.
Zack Dingle arrived in late 1994.
The Battersbys arrived in early 1997.
RO
robrymond
Si-Co posted:
To me, the atmosphere of the show changed when the Dingles were introduced. The Ben Dingle and Luke/Tina storylines were OK, and I do have a soft spot for Sam, but all the time spent showing the family getting involved in things like petty thefts and building rockets, and having convoluted sitcom-ish conversation at home I find tedious, especially in this rewatch. I did think the Butch and Sophie storyline was well written though.

Yes that is the other milestone but the early stuff wasn't too bad, but then they got annoying quickly. Once the village moves it just doesn't feel real anymore and the filming becomes very contained.
JA
james-2001
First Harewood scene in today's second episode. Very tightly shot scene in front of the Woolpack though, which doesn't give away much about the rest of the village.
JA
jaymadz
First Harewood scene in today's second episode. Very tightly shot scene in front of the Woolpack though, which doesn't give away much about the rest of the village.
Yes, we already disussed this last week...
SC
Si-Co
Yes, we already disussed this last week...

Not really.

I’m behind with the Emmerdale repeats but it will be interesting to see how the Esholt/Harewood changeover. How long (in terms of episodes/weeks) is it between the last proper/wide shots of Esholt village and the first similar shots of Harewood? Was there a changeover period where an episode may have featured scenes filmed in both locations?
Last edited by Si-Co on 1 December 2020 12:04pm
JA
james-2001
That poster was just having a dig at me because I said the same to someone who posted that the meerkat sponsorship had ended in the Corrie thread.

Newer posts