TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas idents 2020

Split from New BBC One ident (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
tightrope78
DE88 posted:
And no doubt he isn't happy that BBC2 aren't adding any new idents this Christmas.

And if the Radio Times describes its double issue as legendary, well... Wink

Who is this person that we should be worried what he thinks?
TI
TIGHazard
DE88 posted:
And no doubt he isn't happy that BBC2 aren't adding any new idents this Christmas.

Applemask is famous for his ident histories and reviews.
DE88 and tightrope78 gave kudos
BL
Blewbatt
I am just annoyed about one thing: Forget lockdowns, Brexit, misery, and gloom. It's no excuse for a Christmas ident to be launched in November,
:-(
A former member
I am just annoyed about one thing: Forget lockdowns, Brexit, misery, and gloom. It's no excuse for a Christmas ident to be launched in November,

Yesterday was the first day of Advent. As good a day as any to start Christmas presentation.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Even if the first day of Advent happens to be in November?
WO
Worzel
You forgot the lovely holly shaped 2 in the office as well!

Missed a trick not turning the disinfectant bottle into a 2. 😉
LW
LWTfan1968

Missed a trick not turning the disinfectant bottle into a 2. 😉

They missed a trick not using the curve as a social distancing ident this whole year

We coulda had socially distanced 2's!
WI
Wicko

But it's still four Sundays before Christmas whether Advent is in November or December. I think the BBC just used Advent Sunday this year to reflect on the fact that probably half the population have already put their decorations up! People are ready for festive niceties this year. It's a one off. Also, don't assume everyone is miserable about Brexit. They're not. That's one topic you should never make assumptions on.
DE
DE88
DE88 posted:

Looks like this years Radio Times features something as seen on the 2017 edition. Didn't want to put it up as a spoiler but look like they are going for similar artwork year on year.

Well, Robin Shaw *has* drawn most of the Christmas RT covers since 2012... Wink

DE88 posted:

...You might not be impressed by the way he expresses his political views either.

From last year's Christmas Wrapping: "There's the obligatory quiet BBC1 Christmas ident for before the news. Which, in a potent illustration of precisely where we are as a species, became the first Christmas ident to introduce coverage of a General Election... of which we shall never speak again." ("SERIOUSLY" flashes up on the screen.)

If *that* makes you feel uncomfortable, you do *not* want to read his tweets in the immediate aftermath of said election...
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Wicko posted:

But it's still four Sundays before Christmas whether Advent is in November or December. I think the BBC just used Advent Sunday this year to reflect on the fact that probably half the population have already put their decorations up! People are ready for festive niceties this year. It's a one off. Also, don't assume everyone is miserable about Brexit. They're not. That's one topic you should never make assumptions on.

Ah. I hadn't noticed Andrew's post at the same time as mine. Mine was intended to make the same point in response to Blewbatt rather than disagree with Andrew.

Not sure what your last sentence is aimed at, let's maybe keep that particular debacle out of this thread.
MU
MrUdagawa
Wicko posted:

And the same weekend as last year, although the Sunday was 1st December.
RO
robharrison
Forgive me for sounding like a Scrooge, but I think Christmas identity went downhill fast after the balloons, the dance idents that followed weren’t too bad since they had a good theme and some sort of catchy hook that could be built upon over the Christmas period to create some magical soundtracks and accompanying idents.
Those old enough to remember will know exactly what I’m on about.

Nowadays there is no theme, no magic, no real identity anymore, I just watched the new set and they did nothing for me, could have been anything. That’s just my two cents anyway Smile

Newer posts