TV Home Forum

BBC THREE versus BBC SCOTLAND

Is it time for the BBC to make a really tough decision? (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
Roger Darthwell
I think it would be seen as the bbc pulling out of Scotland. There would be the arguments about how much Scotland pays in licence fees which I totally understand. It would Also play into the hands of some nationalists that want to ‘defund the BBC’ but I don’t think they would close the channel without doing something like changing bbc2 back to bbc2 Scotland.

They have to revive BBC2 Scotland, because if they don't do that, they WILL play into the SNP's hands! There is no question that when the scotland channel will be closed, Scotland can't have a worse service than before
RI
Rijowhi
...Or even BBC1 (or BBC TV as in my proposal) Scotland. Have Scottish programming such as The Nine (changed to the The Six?) amongst prime time hits such as Eastenders.
JE
Jeffmister
I think that BBC Three will not fall back into old habits

It probably will because there's only so much new content a 'secondary' channel (and I say that with all due respect to BBC Three) can create/schedule before it has to repeat programs.
KU
Kunst
And BBC Three linear heavily relied on Family Guy
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Kunst posted:
And BBC Three linear heavily relied on Family Guy

I would hardly say two episodes a night (occasionally three) is "heavily relied on".
ITV2 air it far more often (and far earlier in the evening) than BBC Three ever did, and the Fox channel (Sky 124 and Now TV and Virgin whatever channel it is) airs it all night every night in rotation with American Dad after midnight.

Family Guy is probably one of (the only?) the best examples of a TV show that bombed in the ratings initially but only survives today because it performed well in syndication and DVD sales - Fox had dropped it after three seasons, but revived it again on the back of that performance, though I think like a lot of American TV shows now its ratings have fallen dramatically and now it rates far below what saw it be axed in the first place.
RD
Roger Darthwell
I think that BBC Three will not fall back into old habits

It probably will because there's only so much new content a 'secondary' channel (and I say that with all due respect to BBC Three) can create/schedule before it has to repeat programs.

Don't forget that BBC Three's budget has now risen up to £80 million, so apparently they wouldn't have any problem with content, once it will return as a TV channel!
TE
tellyblues
I think it would be seen as the bbc pulling out of Scotland. There would be the arguments about how much Scotland pays in licence fees which I totally understand. It would Also play into the hands of some nationalists that want to ‘defund the BBC’ but I don’t think they would close the channel without doing something like changing bbc2 back to bbc2 Scotland.

Unless a new BBC2 Scotland was markedly different from what it was before then simply changing a name back wouldn't solve anything. The BBC would have to be seen to replace what they have taken away but the problem is that any Scottish version of BBC2 couldn't be much different from BBC2 England because the majority of its programmes are popular with viewers in Scotland.
LW
LWTfan1968
honestly they should just have bbc scotland be some of one's programming during off air time, and dissolve bbc one scotland (ik this sounds dumb, but at least hear me out). Then move the Nine opposite Newsnight and make more like Newsnight for no reason (and then when that inevitably fails, just replace the Nine with Newsnight.) And then put some BBC Three programmes at 9. And then revive 2 Scotland, perhaps under a new name (2S?). And then since 2S will not have the Curve, give Scotland the curve. They already have a type of curve, why not give them this curve? (because it has more variety!)

8 days later

RD
Roger Darthwell
In the meantime....it seems that BBC Three is landing itself into loads of backlash, because of this https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1331564852264001537
Even the RSPCA got involved.... https://twitter.com/RSPCA_official/status/1336299346871062530 and the #DefundTheBBC people as well....
Last edited by Roger Darthwell on 8 December 2020 2:40pm - 2 times in total
JA
Jacq
Yeah, that's really not a good idea.

There's enough people being arsey at the BBC without them adding fuel to the fire themselves.
Rexogamer and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
RD
Roger Darthwell
Jacq posted:
Yeah, that's really not a good idea.

There's enough people being arsey at the BBC without them adding fuel to the fire themselves.

I truly hope this does not derail efforts to reopen BBC3 as a TV channel.....
JO
Joe
Yes, we know you do.

Newer posts