TV Home Forum

BBC THREE versus BBC SCOTLAND

Is it time for the BBC to make a really tough decision? (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
Online TV is the future (or present), not just for young audiences but for all. That’s why as I stated before that I really feel that’s where the BBC should be focusing much of it’s attention. Scrap the BBC Three brand, along with BBC4 and possibly even BBC2...then start something new online.

I agree with JexedBack on that I’d rather the BBC spend money on one free general channel (the one currently known as BBC1) to produce the best possible content (alongside a decent online offering) while also weaning itself away from the Licence Fee via other methods of funding.
Rexogamer and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Online TV is the future (or present), not just for young audiences but for all. That’s why as I stated before that I really feel that’s where the BBC should be focusing much of it’s attention. Scrap the BBC Three brand, along with BBC4 and possibly even BBC2...then start something new online.

I agree with JexedBack on that I’d rather the BBC spend money on one free general channel (the one currently known as BBC1) to produce the best possible content (alongside a decent online offering) while also weaning itself away from the Licence Fee via other methods of funding.

I think that BBC4 can easily be phased out but BBC2 should remain as it's still extremely popular as far as I can gather.
RD
Roger Darthwell
Here's what I think should happen:

BBC THREE! To report as linear (or IP stream within the Freeview guide)

BBC Scotland Phased back into BBC 2 Scotland but with more local programmes than before and keeping 'The Nine'.

Or make BBC Scotland an IP streamed channel instead.

This is a great idea....although nobody really watches the nine...hold on a second BBC2 Scotland used to have a localised version of Newsnight called Newsnight Scotland....perhaps they should revive that on BBC2 Scotland instead of the nine
Rexogamer, Alfie Mulcahy and chrisdafur gave kudos
RD
Roger Darthwell
Young people do not really watch linear television as much, let alone news. There is no good case for bringing BBC Three back to linear TV or trying to attract under 30s to a linear news show on BBC Scotland. Both are madness.

Cater for young audiences online with relevant and accessible news and programmes.

I'm sorry but if this is the case then how do you explain the fact that the online only BBC Three has lost loads of viewers in these past few years? https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/broadcasting/news/new-research-supports-argument-for-restoration-of-bbc-three-as-tv-channel_413613.html
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I'm sure I've seen this story linked on TVF before but...

Quote:
Netflix is testing a programmed linear content channel in France, Variety reported. The channel, called Netflix Direct, will be available to Netflix streaming subscribers and will provide content from its existing streaming library in a linear format, much like cable and broadcast TV stations do.

From the BBC itself...

Quote:
BBC Three reached 8% of British 16-34-year-olds per week in 2018/19, down from 22% in 2015/16.

The BBC now says its research shows there is a potential large linear audience for the channel's programmes, which it says are reaching both young people and the wider audience in "big numbers".

I understand this.

I loved streaming TV - I dreamed of having it as a child - and I would say that at least half my TV viewing is on demand.

However, I will often spend 5 or 10 minutes on the Sky EPG browsing what's available and then make a choice to watch live or record somethnig based upon what I've found.

Perhaps there is an argument for saying that a linear channel with EPG listings acts as a form of advertising for a channel.

I do think they should bring BBC3 back as a linear channel anyway but I worry that the 5 or so years it has been off air means that it will find it difficult to compete with its rivals who have the momentum.
TE
tellyblues
There is enough room on BBC1 and BBC2 to represent the whole of the UK but the BBC repeat a lot of stuff, meaning that opportunities are lost for regional programming to be shown nationwide. This would improve the BBC's reputation across the regions because viewers would feel they are being given more than just a token mention.

A factor in the dissatisfaction from viewers in Scotland which contributed to the creation of BBC Scotland was STV's failure to commission the types of shows which have ended up on BBC Scotland. If these had been tried out years ago then the apparently untapped potential that justified an entire channel wouldn't have existed and money wouldn't have been wasted.

The BBC have likely found out that the range of content that can appeal to viewers in Scotland is limited, much quicker than they would have had the majority of the programmes they hoped would be successful were exactly that. They are now scrambling to recommission anything with a hint of an audience and constantly look to Still Game to get people to tune in. The situation is all the more worse because they have to repeat programmes that flopped first time round so the channel offers very little most nights.

It's the same stagnant schedule and lack of new content that plagued BBC Three back in the day. Unless this is accounted for, there is no point having something labelled "full of repeats". Even if it was a case of deciding which channel to keep, would BBC Scotland's budget be enough to prevent BBC Three from falling back into old habits?
RD
Roger Darthwell
I think that BBC Three will not fall back into old habits
CO
Cold Open
There is enough room on BBC1 and BBC2 to represent the whole of the UK

I'm sure that for donkey's years Sunday afternoons (or something) on network BBC One included an expendable repeat of some dirge - such as an ancient sitcom episode or whatever - which the northern England regions could opt out of to show The Super League Show.

This kind of thing, to create places where the Nations' own programming could be accommodated on One and Two without them particularly missing the dropped network show, seems a no-brainer.
RI
Rijowhi
More on what I think should happen with BBC Three etc...

[url] https://twitter.com/rjw_avfc1874/status/1332688136544145408?s=21[/url]
UN
Universal_r
I really can’t see the bbc Scotland channel going anywhere anytime soon. Mostly due to political problems, there’s a certain party up here that would cause a major fuss and launch a full scale attack on the bbc if the channel was to go(even though most of them probably never watch it apart from the daily briefings and there was a huge backlash from them when the channel wanted to stop broadcasting them)
RD
Roger Darthwell
I really can’t see the bbc Scotland channel going anywhere anytime soon. Mostly due to political problems, there’s a certain party up here that would cause a major fuss and launch a full scale attack on the bbc if the channel was to go(even though most of them probably never watch it)

You mean the SNP? Honestly if this is the case then they are hypocrites
UN
Universal_r
I think it would be seen as the bbc pulling out of Scotland. There would be the arguments about how much Scotland pays in licence fees which I totally understand. It would Also play into the hands of some nationalists that want to ‘defund the BBC’ but I don’t think they would close the channel without doing something like changing bbc2 back to bbc2 Scotland.

Newer posts