TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
That would be a horrific proposition for the sports fan. As much as we complain about the fragmention of rights between Sky, BT, Premier Sport, eir Sport etc, having to pay per sport or even per sporting event would break the camels back. Football is probably the big example as it has multiple governing bodies and leagues/competitions even within a single country - imagine as a football fan having to pay separately for the PL, EFL, EFL Cup, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League etc. It may kill a lot of smaller or niche events if things go that way. I don’t think it will though. Sports bodies do not want the hassle of having to organise the broadcast of their own events and it will always be more profitable to sell the rights to a third party.

As for the golf, I’m not sure what’s happened in countries where Golf TV has already launched as an OTT service - I think it has yet to enter the markets where golf has a significant viewership. I think the golf audience isn’t ready for OTT only and some sort of coverage on Eurosport may be required. It’ll be interesting to see what’s contemplated.
BR
Brekkie
Linear Sports TV channels will become an anachronism sooner rather than later. They are literally the *only* live linear TV channels I now watch as a matter of course. OTT, owner-operator subscription services and live streaming apps will become the norm soon enough.

The fact linear sport TV channels are the "only " live linear channels you watch is why they are far from dead yet.
JA
JAS84
In the NZ-Argentina game, Sky Sport NZ just gave a shoutout to viewers in the UK, catching the game on BSkyB.

Love it.
Did they actually call it BSkyB? Because it's not called British Sky Broadcasting any more, it's Sky UK now.
RD
rdd Founding member
They shouted out to “Setanta Sports in Ireland” a few weeks back before one of the Tri-Nations games too! (It may not have been altogether inaccurate, as I think one of the still-existing branches of Setanta may hold rights in parts of Asia or Eastern Europe).
RO
robertclark125
Would have thought that will the amount of airtime that the European Tour clogs up Sky Sports Golf, and money saved with loosing the PGA Tour rights, Sky will be fighting to keep the European Tour circut on Sky.

Do we know what Discovery Networks/Eurosport have planned for the PGA Tour once they get the rights from 1st Jan 2022? I suspect some of the coverage will end up on Eurosport 2, but I can't help thinking a lot of it will go behind a further paywall with a dedicated stream on the Eurosport Player.

Something, that Sky might like to remind the European Tour of when the broadcast right are up for grabs. Having a bid from Eurosport, does not necessarly mean great chunks of the coverage will actually end up on Eurosport 1 or 2. Not a problem for a dedicated Golf channel in part of the Sky Sports empire.

What about a Eurosport 3, or could it be that Discovery, owning Quest, it could be put on there, thus giving it FTA exposure.
TI
TIGHazard
So that Argentina v England World Cup match has been put on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08zspyj/1986-fifa-world-cup-argentina-v-england-quarterfinal

For pres fans, seems to be a clean feed version (match isn't, but surrounding presentation was - it's now been Reithed), so you can see the somewhat crude circled highlighting of the handball while the non existing credits roll.
MI
Michael
JAS84 posted:
In the NZ-Argentina game, Sky Sport NZ just gave a shoutout to viewers in the UK, catching the game on BSkyB.

Love it.
Did they actually call it BSkyB? Because it's not called British Sky Broadcasting any more, it's Sky UK now.

Yes they called it BSkyB that's why I mentioned them giving a shoutout to viewers in the UK catching the game on BSkyB. *rolling eyes emoji*
MI
Michael
rdd posted:
That would be a horrific proposition for the sports fan. As much as we complain about the fragmention of rights between Sky, BT, Premier Sport, eir Sport etc, having to pay per sport or even per sporting event would break the camels back. Football is probably the big example as it has multiple governing bodies and leagues/competitions even within a single country - imagine as a football fan having to pay separately for the PL, EFL, EFL Cup, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League etc. It may kill a lot of smaller or niche events if things go that way. I don’t think it will though. Sports bodies do not want the hassle of having to organise the broadcast of their own events and it will always be more profitable to sell the rights to a third party.

At the moment, I pay £25 a month for NowTV Sky Sports package, £89 a year for Premier, and get BT through my Virgin Media XL package. For that outlay I get a ton of content I *don't* want such as cricket, golf, foreign football etc. If I could pay £25 for "all the football", "all the rugby", "all the F1" and "all the darts" I'd be happy.
TO
TopOfTheHour

Love it.

For reasons I have never quite been able to ascertain, the BSkyB has managed to stick around in NZ when (and this is rare) Sky UK is referred to. It's not as though a lot of programming comes via Sky UK this way other than the odd cricket/rugby/league fixture.
BR
Brekkie
Isn't Sky in New Zealand a completely different entity to BSkyB anyway?
VA
valley
Isn't Sky in New Zealand a completely different entity to BSkyB anyway?

Yes. No connection nowadays, other than a shared name.
DV
DVB Cornwall
One of those horrible days in the office for the international media and Sky Sports at the Bahrain Grand Prix with Romain Grosjean crashing into the barriers in the early minutes of the race, with the car splitting in two and the cockpit end bursting into flames. Luckily Grosjean emerged walking out some seconds later, the direction and editing must have been working at a frantic pace during the crash and ensuing minutes. Well played to the Formula 1 safety and medical teams. The reporting thereof on Social Media and Sky Sports being exemplary since the incident.

Newer posts