TV Home Forum

End of the road for UTV?

Split from UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
"Levelling up" is to do with things like community regeneration. The continuity arrangements of a TV channel are not of meaningful importance in most ordinary people's lives.

In areas where things like the loss of an industry (e.g. a factory closure) has caused half the population to become redundant/unemployed etc, those people are hardly going to be thinking "well, at least the announcements on the telly are coming from Cardiff rather than London" or similar.

I see it as more than that. People are sick and tired of London/South East or Greater Manchester seemingly getting everything. This includes jobs in the Media such as TV Production and Continuity Announcers. It also means that some areas get far more coverage than others (the lack of Media provision in the Midlands these days is pathetic and needs to change). I did have to smile at the “well at least the announcements on the telly are coming from Cardiff rather than London” comment though.
KE
kernow
I really don’t agree with Wales/Northern Ireland not having separate announcements/idents (even if not live) especially for ‘National’ programming. They are separate Nations to England.

I thought we were supposed to be “levelling up” in the UK?

Levelling things up outside of England would also involve separate announcements for Channel and the Isle of Man, which would be much more difficult for the latter.
Rexogamer and Rijowhi gave kudos
TI
This Is Granada
Tonights UTV Live has a piece on Julian & Gillian.
JK
JKDerry
If there were to be any changes in the name brand, I would assume they would wait until Jan 2021 before dumping UTV, would that be right?
:-(
A former member
If there were to be any changes in the name brand, I would assume they would wait until Jan 2021 before dumping UTV, would that be right?

Literally nobody here knows. It’s all speculation. Nothing has been said about changing their name.
KE
kernow
Again this is speculation, but I reckon the UTV brand will be phased out (continuing what started to happen earlier in the year), rather than completely disappearing overnight, to try and avoid viewer backlash.

So UTV Live may survive for now, and programmes like UTV Life might get renamed first.
JA
JAS84
I won't be surprised if UTV Live remains as is until the next major ITV News rebrand.
RI
Rijowhi
I really don’t agree with Wales/Northern Ireland not having separate announcements/idents (even if not live) especially for ‘National’ programming. They are separate Nations to England.

Levelling things up outside of England would also involve separate announcements for Channel and the Isle of Man, which would be much more difficult for the latter.

Channel TV has it’s own Studios so announcements could be possible (if not live), the Isle Of Man has never had a separate service though...
JO
Jonwo

Channel TV has it’s own Studios so announcements could be possible (if not live), the Isle Of Man has never had a separate service though...

You do know the Channel Islands and Isle of Man aren't part of the UK so levelling up doesn't apply to them
UM
UlsterMan123
https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2020-11-27/julian-and-gillian-to-leave-utv
Rexogamer, Cold Open and Rijowhi gave kudos
RI
Rijowhi
Jonwo posted:

You do know the Channel Islands and Isle of Man aren't part of the UK so levelling up doesn't apply to them

I was just stating that the Channel Islands COULD potentially have some limited announcements, though I believe in terms of ‘Islands’ programming they only have the News anyway (unlike their counterparts in Wales and Northern Ireland).
IS
Inspector Sands

Channel TV has it’s own Studios so announcements could be possible (if not live),

I'm not sure what you mean, surely Channel's setup is no different to every other region?

Truth is why would they want to have people in St Helier, Belfast, Cardiff etc sitting there 12 hours a day doing near identical announcements for no particular reason? Why would ITV even contemplate that?
Richard and Cold Open gave kudos

Newer posts