TV Home Forum

New channel CCXTV launching 15th April

CCXTV launches on Wednesday 15th April, on Freeview. (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
If they do launch something I would assume it would be Eden given that it's by far the lowest rated of their pay channels, never has anything newly commissioned on it (the rest do) and there's been a number of free factual channels joining Freeview in the last few years - PBS, Smithsonian and now Sky Arts.

I've alway thought Eden might be better rebranding and becoming more of a general factual channel.
TI
This Is Granada
No Create & Craft slot from 7am-10am anymore so its highly likely CCX has new owners. Ideal World wouldn't remove 3 hours on Create & Craft and replace it with general 'Teleshopping'.

Will be interesting to see if ex UKTV programming turns up on CCX.
MI
TheMike
I would keep a very close eye on the status of 'Craft Channel Host Limited', which was the subsidary Ideal World transferred the CCXTV Ofcom DTT licence to last month (as discussed at the time in another thread).

There's always a few days delay in company records being updated.

A reminder for the uninitiated - channels being taken over need to go through an elaborate process in order for the new owner to benefit from the Freeview channel number used by the channel. They can't just trade numbers like on Sky.

29 days later

VA
valley
Lo and behold, a BBC Studios company secretary has just been appointed as secretary of Craft Channel Host Limited, and the registered address changed to 10 Hammersmith Grove which is the registered office for UKTV.
IN
Interceptor
I would keep a very close eye on the status of 'Craft Channel Host Limited', which was the subsidary Ideal World transferred the CCXTV Ofcom DTT licence to last month (as discussed at the time in another thread).

A reminder for the uninitiated - channels being taken over need to go through an elaborate process in order for the new owner to benefit from the Freeview channel number used by the channel. They can't just trade numbers like on Sky.

Doesn't need to take 7 months though. I wonder if Ideal World had a buyer who pulled out.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I suppose UKTV might aim to launch a Drama+1 service or bring Alibi, Eden or Gold to Freeview next year. I can't see there being scope for them to launch a totally new channel in the space. Drama+1 wouldn't need a prominent LCN so the elaborate process could be dispensed with.
MI
TheMike

Doesn't need to take 7 months though. I wonder if Ideal World had a buyer who pulled out.

Movie Mix took years to switch!

It's fair to say it made sense to wait to see what Digital UK was planning for channel allocation rule changes.

As a result, this particular method of transferring ownership of a Freeview channel will be the last.
IN
Interceptor

It's fair to say it made sense to wait to see what Digital UK was planning for channel allocation rule changes.

As a result, this particular method of transferring ownership of a Freeview channel will be the last.

The transfer was all done in 2 or 3 months though - just the name MovieMix hung about about Sony's ownership despite being a simulcast of another channel.
VA
valley
Lo and behold (round 2): "Notification of Uktv Media Limited as a person with significant control on 15 October 2020"
MI
TheMike

The transfer was all done in 2 or 3 months though - just the name MovieMix hung about about Sony's ownership despite being a simulcast of another channel.

The legal switch (i.e. transfer of the holding company and thus the licence holder of the channel) took much longer. Movie Mix was still owned by Square 1 Management when it began to show what was called a "window of programming" supplied by Sony.
MI
TheMike
Two options
- UKTV can do a channel swap now if they want to ( hypothetical example: swap Dave Ja Vu and CCXTV's channel number)...
- Wait for the new Freeview channel allocation rules to come into force, and do something more radical

What could happen next to Craft Channel Host?
- The DTT licence to transfer to UKTV Media and Craft Channel Host Limited is dissolved having served its purpose. CCXTV is shut down.
- If CCXTV moved down EPG, but higher ranking than Create & Craft, Craft Channel Host reverts back to Ideal World and Create & Craft gets a leg back up the EPG to a higher ranking slot.
- New Freeview channel trading rules are approved, Craft Channel Host is dissolved and whatever slot CCXTV has been shunted to is sold on the open market to another broadcaster.
MI
TheMike
Two options
- UKTV can do a channel swap now if they want to ( hypothetical example: swap Dave Ja Vu and CCXTV's channel number)...

Dave Ja Vu is moving to Freeview channel 23 next week.
But CCXTV is taking Jewellery Maker's current number in the last installment of 'Freeview channel merry go round' before the Xmas break
https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/channel-changes-7-Dec-2020

Effectively, CCXTV and Dave Ja Vu are swapping, because with Shopping Quarter and Jewellery Maker shuffling up to fill empty slots, 73 is then assigned to Dave Ja Vu (UKTV gets first choice, as it's next to Yesterday+1). 73 and 23 then swap.

Newer posts