TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JB
JasonB
Not sure if this kind of post belongs here but on BBC Radio London digital towards the end of the first half of the Spurs commentary tonight a few seconds of tone was heard almost sounding like it was censoring the commentators. Not sure if it was mentioned at the start of the second half. Does tone appear if a signal is lost briefly?
GE
thegeek Founding member
It's more likely a sign that someone mis-routed something!
ET
ethanh05
Slightly odd decision taken by FreeSports on the Indian Super League match currently showing. They were just having a minute's silence, before they cut away to an ad break around five seconds in and came back as soon as it had finished.

Has this ever happened before? Seems slightly disrespectful if you ask me, especially when one of the adverts is for bloody Go Compare.
UK
UKnews
Not sure if this kind of post belongs here but on BBC Radio London digital towards the end of the first half of the Spurs commentary tonight a few seconds of tone was heard almost sounding like it was censoring the commentators. Not sure if it was mentioned at the start of the second half. Does tone appear if a signal is lost briefly?

I'd second what thegeek said - the most likely cause is something being mis-routed. Tone wouldn't appear for a loss of signal. Perhaps the studio was expecting crowd FX on a particular source, went to fade it up and it wasn't there for some reason.
JO
Jon
Slightly odd decision taken by FreeSports on the Indian Super League match currently showing. They were just having a minute's silence, before they cut away to an ad break around five seconds in and came back as soon as it had finished.

I would imagine it was more a case of no one knowing it was coming up and those in charge of the breaks not having the authority to miss them. I imagine it was for something irrelevant for UK audiences and what should have happened was the break should have been taken before the silence had begun.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Well this is out of leftfield .... Read carefully this is complicated

Rangers Football Club is to broadcast Indian Super League Football on their Facebook Page .....

MI
Michael
In the NZ-Argentina game, Sky Sport NZ just gave a shoutout to viewers in the UK, catching the game on BSkyB.

Love it.
RD
rdd Founding member
Interesting announcement yesterday of a tie up between the PGA Tour and European Tour that apparently includes co-operation on media rights. The PGA Tour sold their worldwide rights to Discovery/Golf TV a couple of years back though existing contracts will need to run out. This sees the PGA Tour leaving Sky at the end of next year. The European Tour have also sold certain international rights to Golf TV but excluding key markets (inc U.K. & Ireland) for now. In the long term it may be that the writing is on the wall for Sky as a player in golf outside of the majors but that may take a few years to play out.
HC
Hatton Cross
Would have thought that will the amount of airtime that the European Tour clogs up Sky Sports Golf, and money saved with loosing the PGA Tour rights, Sky will be fighting to keep the European Tour circut on Sky.

Do we know what Discovery Networks/Eurosport have planned for the PGA Tour once they get the rights from 1st Jan 2022? I suspect some of the coverage will end up on Eurosport 2, but I can't help thinking a lot of it will go behind a further paywall with a dedicated stream on the Eurosport Player.

Something, that Sky might like to remind the European Tour of when the broadcast right are up for grabs. Having a bid from Eurosport, does not necessarly mean great chunks of the coverage will actually end up on Eurosport 1 or 2. Not a problem for a dedicated Golf channel in part of the Sky Sports empire.
BR
Brekkie
Really hate the idea of even more bundling of rights - if anything surely the competition watchdogs should keep an eye on that as it is an anti-competitive move.

Snooker back on the BBC today and two things of note. Hazel Irvine has not returned, so Seema Jaswal leads coverage this weekend with Jason Mohammed joining from Monday, with Radzi on the highlights. Also having used BBC4 for evening coverage of the World Championships that isn't happening this time around, so coverage will just be on the red button.

And though the problems with Amazon overshadowed it last night great to see Simon Thomas getting almost universal praise for his return to football presenting last night.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Really hate the idea of even more bundling of rights - if anything surely the competition watchdogs should keep an eye on that as it is an anti-competitive move.

Realistically sport is effectively one large private venture (albeit split around the various "boards" for each sport/wing/venture), so they are free to do what they want with it to a large extent, and subject to the "protected" lists of key events in the appropriate broadcasting legislation can sell broadcasting rights to whoever has the fattest wallet and waves the most money around in the air (they'll all claim reinvestment in grass roots as it were for the respective sports).
MI
Michael
Linear Sports TV channels will become an anachronism sooner rather than later. They are literally the *only* live linear TV channels I now watch as a matter of course. OTT, owner-operator subscription services and live streaming apps will become the norm soon enough.

Newer posts