TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2020

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
Random question about commissioning with reference to Call the Midwife; do the producers denote the length of the Christmas episode or would the channel commissioners request a set length (for example a 90 minute special rather than a regular 60 minute episode)?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Random question about commissioning with reference to Call the Midwife; do the producers denote the length of the Christmas episode or would the channel commissioners request a set length (for example a 90 minute special rather than a regular 60 minute episode)?

Almost certainly the commissioners I would have thought, to order x episodes at 60 minutes and one at 90 minutes in length. Same as any other programme. Probably advised they want the 90 minute one for Christmas.
FA
fanoftv
I see, thank you for you speedy response Neil.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Provisional Christmas Day schedule for BBC One
Last edited by Square Eyes on 27 November 2020 12:22am - 2 times in total
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Provisional Christmas Day schedule for BBC One has

14.35 Zog and the Flying Doctors
15.00 The Queen
15.10 Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave
15.40 Film: Coco
17.15 Strictly Come Dancing
18.30 Michael McIntrye's The Wheel
19.30 Call the Midwife
21.00 Eastenders
21.45 Mrs Browns Boys

So no early evening news again
JA
JAS84
That doesn't surprise me. I knew Big Show couldn't happen, and Wheel is it's replacement with the same presenter. I assume Doctor Who will be on New Year's Day like it has been for the last couple of years?
JO
Jonwo
The New Year's drama is The Serpent which looks pretty good.
GL
Gluben
Provisional Christmas Day schedule for BBC One has

14.35 Zog and the Flying Doctors
15.00 The Queen
15.10 Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave
15.40 Film: Coco
17.15 Strictly Come Dancing
18.30 Michael McIntrye's The Wheel
19.30 Call the Midwife
21.00 Eastenders
21.45 Mrs Browns Boys

About what I expected and still tired-lookinhg. I can forgive it a bit this year but they do really need some new shows, not just another vehicle for Michael McIntyre.
BR
Brekkie
As much as Xmas Day needs something new shows should have to prove themselves. Very risky to pencil in a show the audience hasn't even seen yet.

I think this year the less news on Christmas Day the better. Indeed maybe the best Christmas present the news channels could give us is to close for the day.
JO
Jonwo
As much as Xmas Day needs something new shows should have to prove themselves. Very risky to pencil in a show the audience hasn't even seen yet.

I think this year the less news on Christmas Day the better. Indeed maybe the best Christmas present the news channels could give us is to close for the day.

The chances of that happening are zero.

They have been big new stories on Christmas Day, George Michael's death being one recent example.
TV
iloveTV1
So NEW Zog at 2.35, and a repeat of Wallace and Gromit which must’ve been on around 30 times by now, at 3.10.
JO
Jonwo
So NEW Zog at 2.35, and a repeat of Wallace and Gromit which must’ve been on around 30 times by now, at 3.10.

You do know these are provisional schedule which are subject to change......

Newer posts