TV Home Forum

End of the road for UTV?

Split from UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

Apparently Julian is 68, so is around retirement age anyway

If I was in charge at BBC Radio Ulster I'd snap him up for a weekly show, reckon he'd be great
UT
UTVLifer
I'm concerned for the future of UTV's regional programming even more than usual: Wales and Border have kept programmes such as Wales This Week and Sharp End for Wales and Representing Border on air through lockdown and Border presumably did the smart thing and bulk recorded a ton of Border Life episodes in the Summer as they all say they were recorded before lockdown restrictions.

Where have UTV Life and Pammie gone?

I do hope to god that this anticipated rebrand to ITV whatever will bring a redesign to the crime against humanity/graphic design that is UTV Life
KE
kernow
I thought ITV plc bought Channel TV a few years ago now?

Oh they did, just not the license. Channel Television Holdings Ltd is the current license holder, and unlike other ITV franchises, Channel Television ltd isn't listed as dormant at all!

Looking on Companies House there were two companies called Channel Television Ltd, both are closed and wound up. One of them existed just for the compliance of programmes by ITV in order to minimise any potential fines

Channel Television Holdings is the license holder and its a wholey owned subsidiary of ITV PLC.

Aren't all the other licences held by ITV Broadcasting Limited though (which I believe is technically Anglia, after Anglia Television Limited was renamed as ITV Broadcasting Limited), so the situation is a bit different with Channel.
TI
This Is Granada
And not even a brief mention of Julian & Gillian leaving UTV on tonight's news. They told us viewers on the 1st April what to expect continuity wise from the 2nd...so I would have thought a little mention to 'wrap up' the story they told us that 'Local continuity has temporarily been suspended' when in fact from today it's been 'permanently ended'!
MO
Mockah

Oh they did, just not the license. Channel Television Holdings Ltd is the current license holder, and unlike other ITV franchises, Channel Television ltd isn't listed as dormant at all!

Looking on Companies House there were two companies called Channel Television Ltd, both are closed and wound up. One of them existed just for the compliance of programmes by ITV in order to minimise any potential fines

Channel Television Holdings is the license holder and its a wholey owned subsidiary of ITV PLC.

Aren't all the other licences held by ITV Broadcasting Limited though (which I believe is technically Anglia, after Anglia Television Limited was renamed as ITV Broadcasting Limited), so the situation is a bit different with Channel.

Wait, Anglia is ITV Broadcasting Limited? That's something you don't you don't hear everyday!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Presumably just because it was first in the list of companies alphabetically when they rationalising things.
DE88, Cold Open and Mockah gave kudos
MO
Mockah
Presumably just because it was first in the list of companies alphabetically when they rationalising things.

Yeah, probably but it's still interesting
CO
Cold Open
Yup. The subsidiary / legal entity previously called ITV Anglia Ltd was at some point renamed as something like ITV Broadcasting Ltd, with umpteen Channel 3 licences being transferred to it. All (I think?)* of the other "ITV (region name) Ltd" subsidiaries therefore became Dormant Companies.

*I'm not sure whether ITV Breakfast Broadcasting Ltd (formerly GMTV) and/or UTV Ltd remain functional, or if their respective licences were also transferred to "Anglia"?

As others have noted, the now ITV plc-owned Channel Television company itself (whatever its legal name now is) remains the direct owner of the Channel 3 licence for the Channel Islands.
KE
kernow
Anglia Television Limited became ITV Broadcasting Limited in 2006:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00955957
Rexogamer and Cold Open gave kudos
GL
Gluben
It'll probably happen to Scottish sooner or later, I bet in the next 10 years or so

I really hope not, STV is too proud and too rich...I am sure they will resist

It will, it’s a question of when, not if. Depends if/when indyref2 happens.
CO
Cold Open
I hadn't realised that it was as early as 2006. So the likes of ITV Central Ltd, ITV Meridian Ltd etc only existed for about 2 years before becoming dormant?!
NW
nwtv2003
To be honest considering ITV plc acquired UTV five years ago, I’m amazed it’s branding and local continuity lasted into this year without change since 2016. A shame, but inevitable. Clearly the removal of the UTV branding in continuity since Spring hasn’t done any damage to the point where they’re happy to remove it permanently.

Newer posts