TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
commseng
Not quite sure which one of the scanners that is - but I think by 1994 the smaller ones - LO21, 22 or 23 were used for Songs of Praise.
So this was certainly the one used for Vicar of Dibley.
Why would you also have one just as a prop?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

I think you’ll find that’s a BB OB truck.

🙄😄
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
There a BBC OB truck in an episode of The Demon Headmaster too, in the episode where the Eddy Hair show comes to their school

Well spotted!

(blocked by YouTube, hence why its on Vimeo!)
JO
Jonwo
Does anyone know when we will see Colin Murray on Countdown? I assume it's sometime in December since Nick is still on the show at the moment.
RO
rob Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Does anyone know when we will see Colin Murray on Countdown? I assume it's sometime in December since Nick is still on the show at the moment.

21st December.
JO
Jonwo
rob posted:
Jonwo posted:

21st December.

That's much later than I expected but TBH I couldn't remember how far in advance Countdown records its episodes.
BR
Brekkie
Thought it would be off air for Christmas by then. When is the final?
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
rob posted:
Jonwo posted:

21st December.

That's much later than I expected but TBH I couldn't remember how far in advance Countdown records its episodes.

Countdown usually record a whole week of shows in one day. So five weeks of shows are recorded in one week. Fast turnaround. I had a friend attend a recording once in Dock10 Studios, and she said it was a fast turnaround.
JO
Joe
That Demon headmaster clip - you barely see that it’s any kind of TV van at all!
JA
james-2001
There a BBC OB truck in an episode of The Demon Headmaster too, in the episode where the Eddy Hair show comes to their school

Well spotted!

https://vimeo.com/483131679

(blocked by YouTube, hence why its on Vimeo!)

I've seen that episode so many times, I had it taped off TV from the 1998 repeat run! That's how I remembered it.
NW
nwtv2003
Jonwo posted:
rob posted:

21st December.

Countdown usually record a whole week of shows in one day. So five weeks of shows are recorded in one week. Fast turnaround. I had a friend attend a recording once in Dock10 Studios, and she said it was a fast turnaround.

I saw it being filmed a couple of times in 2010 when they were at Granada Studios and the whole week’s worth were also filmed in one day. They usually filmed the first two episodes of the week (in that sense) in the morning and the other three in the afternoon. The gaps between filming to allow for costume changes, set dressing etc took longer than the actual show itself, which was recorded as live. When it came to the commercial breaks, the actual gap was about a minute.

Don’t forget only within the last year they got plenty of episodes in the can prior to Rachel Riley’s maternity leave, as it was mentioned on screen that they had about 2 to 3 months off before Rachel returned after her baby was born. The funny thing being they only had a few weeks worth of episodes after this due to COVID-19.
BR
Brekkie
They used to film three days a week for three weeks before a break, so 9 weeks of episodes at a time. That may have changed and I guess they're flexible when they need to get more in the can (so maternity leave is over the weekend). Apparently Nick has filmed some of the new series and I think the final of this one, so it seems like we'll get Colin for some specials over Christmas (Nick also filmed some of them), and then a return to Nick with Colin turning up again a few weeks into the series. That probably will work out better for them than one continous block with Nick off.

One thing that surprised me with the news of Alex Trebek's death is although like here they film a week works of episodes a day they just film for two days every fortnight a couple of months ahead of broadcast, so filming is a year round thing rather than getting the whole season in the can in a few months.

Back to shows being impacted and I guess The Wheel is the first direct replacement (other than clip shows or at home versions) for a show that can't be produced, airing pretty much in the same slot Michael McIntyre's Big Show would have done.

Newer posts