TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm suprised there hasn't been a rebrand, let alone a new ident yet. Then again, a few months ago I asked the BBC about 2s idents and the nice person at BBC Complaints said that they're looking into them.

'nutter, fob him off with a nice but vague reply' Very Happy
DD
DemonDays
I mean, there's subsequent ident campaigns that have clearly been inspired by the 90s idents on some level.

The Personality 2s get their overall aesthetic, environment, and mechanised movement from Car. You can also see Fluffy Dog in their characterisation.

I highly doubt Window on the World would have existed without Copper Cut-Out, too. (You could have called them Seawall Cut-Out, Tent Cut-Out and Cappuccino Stencil Cut-Out.)
LW
LWTfan1968
I mean, there's subsequent ident campaigns that have clearly been inspired by the 90s idents on some level.

The Personality 2s get their overall aesthetic, environment, and mechanised movement from Car. You can also see Fluffy Dog in their characterisation.

I highly doubt Window on the World would have existed without Copper Cut-Out, too. (You could have called them Seawall Cut-Out, Tent Cut-Out and Cappuccino Stencil Cut-Out.)

Not to mention the NI-only Titanic ident was literally a reference to Copper Cut-Out, with a mix of its music and Silk's.
DD
DemonDays

Not to mention the NI-only Titanic ident was literally a reference to Copper Cut-Out, with a mix of its music and Silk's.

That's a decent point.

Titanic is the most accurate point of comparison. To be honest, I feel Seascape is kind of the heir of Copper Cut-Out, what with the ocean spray going through the 2 like sparks.
CA
Cavan
I would argue that Mirror is a closer analogue, given that it also features sparks flying out of the 2.
DD
DemonDays
Cavan posted:
I would argue that Mirror is a closer analogue, given that it also features sparks flying out of the 2.

Not a cut-out, though. And Seascape is.
DE
denton

...and with the Titanic ident of course, there were actual / practical sparks coming out of the two cut-out.
CA
Cavan
Cavan posted:

I think you need to watch the ident again.
:-(
A former member
Cavan posted:
Cavan posted:

I think you need to watch the ident again.

Just to be clear, which ident do you mean? If it's the Car Wing Mirror, there are no sparks or a cut-out - just trails of street lights and a rear-view in the reflection.
RD
Roger Darthwell
A rebrand after just 2 years? I don't think so.

Out of pure curiosity do you think that a rebrand could happen in 2022 (in the occasion of the BBC's 100th anniversary) or 2024 (in the occasion of BBC2's 60th anniversary)?
BR
Brekkie
BBC2 won't need a rebrand for a good few years yet. They should get at least a decade out of these superb idents.
RD
Roger Darthwell
BBC2 won't need a rebrand for a good few years yet. They should get at least a decade out of these superb idents.

If you say so.....Hope you don't have the same opinion about the idents on BBC1
Last edited by Roger Darthwell on 24 November 2020 12:08pm

Newer posts