TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
Given the importance, can they really not get a LiveU into Downing Street.

I’m not sure Johnson necessarily has the technical know-how to set up a LiveU and troubleshoot it...
MarkT76 and bilky asko gave kudos
MU
MrUdagawa
Given the importance, can they really not get a LiveU into Downing Street.

I’m not sure Johnson necessarily has the technical know-how to set up a LiveU and troubleshoot it...

Whoever set up his backdrop could do it.
BA
Ballyboy
The two show lol
LN
LondonNewsBites
The two show lol

I could imagine the theme...

Two!
Two!
JA
james-2001
The two show lol

I could imagine the theme...

Two!
Two!

A bit like the one they put on a Christmas ident one year, then.
BA
Ballyboy
I could record it lol
PA
paul_hadley
Vicar Of Dibley back on prime time BBC1. Interesting scheduling. The quality is pretty dreadful - outside of the odd fake haze over the series as a whole this copy seems to have an odd “tracking” line on the left of the picture.
JO
Jonwo
Vicar Of Dibley back on prime time BBC1. Interesting scheduling. The quality is pretty dreadful - outside of the odd fake haze over the series as a whole this copy seems to have an odd “tracking” line on the left of the picture.

It's clearly slot filler. It does show why you rarely see anything not made in widescreen or HD anymore on BBC One because most of it has not aged well.
Last edited by Jonwo on 23 November 2020 9:05pm
JA
james-2001
Those lines at the edge of the picture like on this Vicar Of Dibley showing are quite common on lots of SD content, both 4:3 and 16:9, presumably part of the production process and the technology used. I guess it was hardly considered a problem since it would have been cut off by overscan, so wouldn't have been seen. Only now where you can see right to the edge of the frames it becomes obvious.

You see all sorts of things like this watching old programmes now, like scrolling credits which don't go to the top of the screen, and on the BBC TOTP repeats you can tell when there's a transition coming because the underlying picture can be seen at the extreme edges of the picture.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Remembering of course BBC One HD will be upscaling Vicar of Dibley, and it seems to me the process they use for upscaling on the HD channels really doesn't like SD content from the 90s as it looks painfully soft. Whenever Dad's Army is repeated it looks semi-decent for something upscaled, as does Fawlty Towers when it gets wheeled out. It'll never be HD obviously, but the upscaling seems to work better with the EMI cameras and resulting "look" from that era.

I saw a Blackadder episode a few years ago at Christmas which had a purple line down the right hand side of the frame right inside what would have been the edge of the 4:3 picture. Its always interesting to note you can see a lot of 70s programmes like Fawlty Towers which normally don't have any lines down the edge of the picture like you can see in that Vicar of Dibley episode, its near enough "clean". Dad's Army you can sometimes see unusual artefacts around the edges, especially on that episode that only existed in black and white but they were able to extract the colour information from it and remaster it years later. The colour restoration didn't quite go to the edge of the picture.

And of course you can see the edge of the Blockbusters set on the outside of the picture in the post 1986 episodes (didn't occur in the earlier titles AFAIK, and didn't happen in the Sky 1994 series either).
MarkT76 and paul_hadley gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
Why did Vicar of Disley always have that 'fake Hazel effect anyway? Just a way of trying to make the picture look soft for some reason?
DA
davidhorman
I wonder if a little bit of the nominal analogue blanking area got left in. That white line looks like a combination of desaturation (trouble with chroma placement) and sharpening with a black edge. The rest of the picture looks a bit oversaturated to me.
Last edited by davidhorman on 23 November 2020 10:06pm

Newer posts