The Newsroom

Old BBC News video clips archive

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
itsrobert Founding member
This is a staggering collection. I'd like to add my support for you uploading these to YouTube (as mentioned, you can switch off the comments or just ignore them). Recognising that there's a lot to upload, no doubt many TVF members will be happy to upload with your approval and with attribution to you.

Thanks, I’m glad you’re enjoying them. To be honest, I’d be happy for others to put them on YouTube. I’m not precious about them and I just don’t have the time myself. So if anyone wants to do it please feel free with my blessing. I’d rather they were enjoyed than just sit on an old hard drive gathering dust.
rob and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member

Thanks, I’m glad you’re enjoying them. To be honest, I’d be happy for others to put them on YouTube. I’m not precious about them and I just don’t have the time myself. So if anyone wants to do it please feel free with my blessing. I’d rather they were enjoyed than just sit on an old hard drive gathering dust.

That's very good of you. I've started to upload these to the TV Live YouTube channel with full credit to you (and a link back to TVF).

Thanks for sharing these videos by the way, some absolute gems in these recordings. Smile
Last edited by rob on 22 November 2020 3:36am
IT
rob posted:

That's very good of you. I've started to upload these to the TV Live YouTube channel with full credit to you (and a link back to TVF).

Thanks for sharing these videos by the way, some absolute gems in these recordings. Smile

Thanks Rob, that’s really great of you. Glad they’re getting a good home, some publicity and will hopefully now be enjoyed by a wider audience. I think I’ve uploaded everything of note to Dropbox, but if I find anything else of note I’ll let you know.
chevron, Roger Darthwell and rob gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
Some very interesting clips there, thank you. Also a few blasts from the past, such as Ros Childs, George Eykyn, Martin Popplewell. Also without turning this into a dreaded Rota thread, I believe that clip of Simon McCoy presenting Weekend 24 with Jules Botfield on Saturday 3rd January 2004 might have been his first shift on News 24, unless I'm mistaken.
Roger Darthwell and itsrobert gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
I realised that I have an awful lot of old video clips that I recorded from various BBC News outlets between about 2001 and 2004 and it's all just sitting there doing nothing and never sees the light of day.

So, I thought I'd upload it all to Dropbox and give you all access to it. It's a real treasure trove of stuff from BBC One news, News 24, BBC World, North West Tonight etc. Mainly regular bulletins, but also some mistakes and oddities like joint weekends between News 24 and World. I've also got some recordings from when News 24 were in TC10 during the autumn of 2003.

I've tried to organise it into various subfolders for ease of navigation. Please accept my apologies in advance for the terrible quality of a lot of the earlier stuff. I'd urge you to turn your speakers down for those as the sound is very loud. I seemed to get a handle on recording stuff by about 2003 so the later stuff is a bit better. I've tried to omit clips that I downloaded from websites and were sent by friends etc. I hope none have slipped through - I'm 99% sure I recorded everything here myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8xbomdi2p1wjfsb/AACj_u-yDtZQXmMHuTkzbsWLa?dl=0

Enjoy!

This is such a treasure trove. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thumbs up

Also thanks Rob for uploading them to You Tube, which is easier to access. Thumbs up

Can't wait to explore it.
Roger Darthwell, itsrobert and rob gave kudos
IT
I've uploaded a heap more video clips that *might* not be my original creations. I've put them into a new folder called "Clips that might not be mine" on the Dropbox link in the first post of this thread.

I know these latest clips didn't come from any websites - they may have been sent to me by an ex-TVF member called Re-it-er-ate. I think he's long since departed these forums. I hope he wouldn't mind that I've uploaded them - it's just I feel there's such good stuff just sitting there and not being seen by the world. Re-it-er-ate and I worked together on capturing as much stuff as we could from BBC News outlets at the time and shared clips with each other.

Rob, it's up to you whether you put this latest batch on YouTube. That's your call - although if Re-it-er-ate were here I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with it.
Last edited by itsrobert on 22 November 2020 2:56pm
IT
Have also added a handful of ITV News and Channel 4 News clips from the same period to both my folders and the 'clips that might not be mine' folder.

Rob, again, please feel free to upload whatever you think to YouTube. It's great to see the clips you have already uploaded getting plenty of views. It's nice to be able to make this stuff available as there's not a great deal of existing coverage of that particular era on YouTube. Hopefully this might redress the balance somewhat and bring a great period of TV news presentation to a new, younger audience that might not have seen it at the time.
RD
Roger Darthwell
Have also added a handful of ITV News and Channel 4 News clips from the same period to both my folders and the 'clips that might not be mine' folder.

Rob, again, please feel free to upload whatever you think to YouTube. It's great to see the clips you have already uploaded getting plenty of views. It's nice to be able to make this stuff available as there's not a great deal of existing coverage of that particular era on YouTube. Hopefully this might redress the balance somewhat and bring a great period of TV news presentation to a new, younger audience that might not have seen it at the time.

Thank you for this great gift mate!
IT

You're welcome, Roger. I probably should have done this a while ago really. At the time, Re-it-er-ate and I liked the presentation of the time and captured as much of it as we could but it was hardly worthy of sharing as the branding was still in use. It's only now that we're 15-20 years on that it seems to have historic value all of a sudden. It took us countless hours to record and encode all these clips and, I suspect the cliff edge of 2004/05 was because I went to university and life suddenly got a lot busier. That's probably why I stopped capturing things. I'm just glad those countless hours weren't necessarily a waste of time after all!
RD
Roger Darthwell

You're welcome, Roger. I probably should have done this a while ago really. At the time, Re-it-er-ate and I liked the presentation of the time and captured as much of it as we could but it was hardly worthy of sharing as the branding was still in use. It's only now that we're 15-20 years on that it seems to have historic value all of a sudden. It took us countless hours to record and encode all these clips and, I suspect the cliff edge of 2004/05 was because I went to university and life suddenly got a lot busier. That's probably why I stopped capturing things. I'm just glad those countless hours weren't necessarily a waste of time after all!

And indeed they were not mate!
GI
ginnyfan

Did you ever by chance record any of CNNI? There's so little out there from this period and it's a shame.

I did some of my own recordings, mostly of Sky News after the mid 2000s relunch but sadly lost it all when my hard drive died. Crying or Very sad
IT

Did you ever by chance record any of CNNI? There's so little out there from this period and it's a shame.

I did some of my own recordings, mostly of Sky News after the mid 2000s relunch but sadly lost it all when my hard drive died. Crying or Very sad

Sadly not - I did watch CNN from 1995 onwards but unfortunately I never bothered to capture any of its presentation.

Newer posts